Home   Romney Marsh   Sport   Article

Southern Counties East round-up as Lydd Town beat Tooting Bec on penalties in their Division 1 play-off final; Phoenix Sports also earn shot at promotion

There was plenty of drama as Lydd gained promotion to the Southern Counties East Premier Division on Saturday.

The Lydders made the most of an unexpected home advantage in their Division 1 play-off final against Tooting Bec.

Midfielder James Rogers - scored and was sent off in Lydd's play-off final win. Picture: Randolph File
Midfielder James Rogers - scored and was sent off in Lydd's play-off final win. Picture: Randolph File

They should have been heading to the league runners-up but the fixture was switched to 3pm at the Lindsey Field after Bec, who play their home games at Chipstead FC, informed the league the ground was unavailable.

As they had done in their play-off semi-final in midweek, Lydd called upon dual-registered players - including Folkestone trio Ronnie Dolan, Robbie Dolan and James Rogers.

And midfielder Rogers was at the heart of the action. He scored in the first period but, after the visitors had levelled, the 38-year-old was sent off, with the final going the distance.

But Mickey Doyle’s team held their nerve to win 5-4 on penalties to ensure they’ll go up.

A midfielder Alfie Evans double inside the first 10 minutes saw Phoenix Sports beat Kennington 3-0 to earn a second-placed finish and a shot at promotion via the promotion-relegation play-offs.

Francis Babalola was also on target after the restart for Steve O’Boyle’s side.

That result meant Deal had to settle for a third-placed finish despite a 2-0 home win over Sutton Athletic.

In front of a crowd of 715, Billy Munday struck for the second time in four days before debutant substitute Josh Byford added a late second for Steve King’s side at the Charles Sports Ground.

Canterbury City were relegated from the Premier Division despite a 1-1 draw at home to champions Erith & Belvedere.

Needing all three points, they trailed to striker Marcus Elliott’s goal from a George Monger corner and, despite Amin Gorgol levelling for Danny Lawrence’s team before half-time, it wasn’t quite enough.

All the goals came in the second period in Glebe’s 3-0 triumph against fourth-placed Erith Town.

Striker Jamie Philpot with a brace, including a penalty, put them in control and midfielder Marcel McDonald’s 85th-minute effort rounded things off.

Just six days after they stunned Deal with a 6-0 Kent Senior Trophy Final triumph, Punjab were beaten at home by Lordswood in a 10-goal thriller.

Experienced striker Luke Medley got a 23-minute hat-trick, including two penalties, while the Medway club’s other four efforts came from Joel Odeniran, Fred Baker and Ola Adegbulube, as well as an own goal.

In-form Jayden Hussain, Paul Vines and Michael Hagan netted in vain for Chipie Sian’s side, who had Theo McKenzie sent off with the score at 4-1. Punjab finished 10th and Lords came fifth-bottom.

Forward Dean Grant bagged a brace for fifth-placed Whitstable, who drew 2-2 at Welling Town with the third-bottom hosts avoiding relegation. Sam Bailey and Nathan Palmer were on target for Welling.

Tunbridge Wells edged a tight contest at Hollands & Blair 2-1 to earn an eighth-placed finish.

Midfielder Jack Palmby won it on 83 minutes for the away side after Jack Walder and Ben Brown - with a penalty - had cancelled one another out.

Bottom side K Sports were beaten, losing 2-0 to fourth-bottom Holmesdale, while Bearsted won by the same scoreline at Rusthall.

Close This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies.Learn More