Home   Sevenoaks   News   Article

Exploding battery left in rubbish for collection in Edenbridge starts fire in Sevenoaks District Council refuse truck

An exploding battery sparked a fire in a council bin lorry.

Binmen used an onboard fire extinguisher to put out the flames after the discarded power pack blew up after it was collected in Edenbridge yesterday.

People have been warned about what they throw out. Stock picture
People have been warned about what they throw out. Stock picture

The crew of the refuse truck have been praised for their quick thinking as the entire vehicle was in danger of catching fire if they had not moved so fast to put it out.

Sevenoaks District Council is now reminding people never to put any kind of battery in their waste as it can put their staff in danger.

Cllr Margot McArthur said: "It is very dangerous to put any kind of batteries into your waste sacks, regardless of their size.

"The inside of refuse trucks are hot, meaning batteries can heat up and set alight quickly. We’re really proud of the way our team handled the situation but we are urging residents to not let this happen again.

"Please always take domestic batteries to your local supermarket recycling points and larger batteries to the household waste recycling centre."

Read more: All the latest news from Sevenoaks

Close This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies.Learn More