Home   Sheerness   News   Article

Sheerness RNLI lifeboat called to two separate reports of a man and his dog in difficulties

By Chloe Holmwood

The RNLI had to deal with two separate call-outs involving men and their dogs in one day.

The Sheerness inshore lifeboat was called at 2.30pm yesterday, following a call from the Coastguard reporting a man and his Labrador were in difficulties on the marshes at Stoke Creek in the Medway estuary.

It is understood that whilst they were out wildfowling, the dog decided to 'do its own thing' and would not respond to its owner’s calls. It ended up stranded on marshy rocks, where it stayed put and refused to come back.

Sheerness Lifeboats. Picture: RNLI
Sheerness Lifeboats. Picture: RNLI

Having made a call to the Coastguard, the man was advised to remain on dry land and not attempt to reach his pet.

The lifeboat team soon found the dog, took it back to the mainland with his owner and the volunteer crew was back at the station shortly after 3pm.

The second call-out came in later in the day.

The Sheerness all-weather lifeboat crew was alerted by the Coastguard, shortly before 9pm, reporting that a small craft, with a man and dog onboard, had run aground on the Maplin Sands in the Thames estuary.

The Coastguard had expressed concerns for the man's safety as he was believed to be on medication and deemed vulnerable.

Gravesend RNLI was deployed to look for a person in distress.
Gravesend RNLI was deployed to look for a person in distress.

The Sheerness crew launched at 9.40pm and arrived near the craft at 10.30pm. The Southend RNLI lifeboat also attended.

A tow line was attached to the craft and it was towed to Queenborough Harbour.

Due to the size of it and the windy weather conditions, crews had to make slow progress and the craft was eventually secured in Queenborough at 2.35am this morning.

A Sheppey Coastguard Rescue team was waiting to take the man and his dog ashore to await an ambulance.

It is believed the man had started his journey from Ipswich and was attempting to navigate up the Thames with his final destination being The Kennett and Avon Canal.

The Sheerness lifeboat eventually arrived back at the station at 3.25am.

Join the debate...
Comments |

Don't have an account? Please Register first!

The KM Group does not moderate comments. Please click here for our house rules.

People who post abusive comments about other users or those featured in articles will be banned.

Thank you. Your comment has been received and will appear on the site shortly.


Terms of Comments
We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions to the reader comments but we may intervene and take such action as we think necessary, please click here for our house rules. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report abuse button, contact us here, email multimediadesk@thekmgroup.co.uk or call 01634 227989.

Follow us

Like Us on Facebook

Most popular

Kent Travel News

Close This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies.Learn More