Fishermen who discard their equipment on the beach have been branded thoughtless by a dog owner whose pet was badly injured by a hook.
Although Paula Galvin says most people do clear up after themselves, the minority that don’t have no regard for anyone else’s safety.
The 64-year-old was walking her Jack Russell, Dylan, along Minster Leas last Monday when it picked up the fishhook from the beach, near the huts.
A passer-by noticed it looked like the dog was chewing on something and further examination revealed it had pierced the back of the tongue.
Mrs Galvin rushed Dylan to Well Pets in Minster, where they sedated her pet and removed the hook. The 13-year-old dog is on the mend now and being given lots of TLC.
“He’s doing really well now but it was awful,” said Mrs Galvin, of Raleigh Way, Halfway.
"He was crying and yelping but he was brave. I couldn’t see if he was bleeding but it was really hurting him.
“At least he’s alive – I thought he was going to choke and die.”
The grandmother-of-one said while she was in the vet’s another woman came in who said her dog had to be put to sleep a few years ago after swallowing a hook.
She wants to warn people to be careful, and is worried not only for pets but for anyone who uses the beach as she said a child could easily have picked it up or someone could tread on it.
Also, if a fox was to get injured it would be in agony as no one would help it.
“It’s a minority but I’m horrified and appalled that some are just thoughtless and don’t have any regard for anyone else,” she said.