Home   Sheerness   News   Article

Plans for 150 homes in Halfway, Sheerness, should be refused until traffic sorted says Highways England

By Chloe Holmwood

Highways bosses say plans for more than 150 homes should be refused, unless traffic modelling – which looks at the impact the homes would have on the A249 and M2 – is done.

Developer Keepmoat Homes wants to build housing at the end of Belgrave Road in Halfway, Sheerness – a mix of two, three and four bedroom homes.

A planning document, written on behalf of the developer, said: “The design ultimately provides a high-quality contemporary development blended within its landscape context to provide a unique place to live, and which adds to the overall quality of the area.”

Highways England has said traffic modelling is needed before the housing can be built
Highways England has said traffic modelling is needed before the housing can be built

However, Highways England has raised concerns about traffic from the new housing.

It is now asking for traffic modelling to be carried out to consider the cumulative impacts of all phases of the proposed development on the A249 and M2.

A spokesman added: “Due to our request for further information, we request that you do not determine the planning application, other than a refusal, until we have received the additional information from the applicant and reviewed it accordingly.”

Meanwhile, the NHS would demand over £132,000 if the controversial plans were agreed.

A spokesman said the development would place additional pressure on local health services, especially GP services which are already at capacity.

153 houses are planned for the end of Belgrave Road
153 houses are planned for the end of Belgrave Road

He added that the funding would therefore go towards expanding existing facilities within the vicinity of the new homes.

The public consultation period on the plans expires on Friday, June 7.

As of Saturday afternoon, there were 42 comments on Swale council’s planning portal regarding this proposal including an objection from Minster Parish Council. It said it strongly objected to the plans on a number of grounds, such as the detrimental impact on Queenborough Road and the Halfway traffic lights.

Earlier this week, Swale council said it had not yet received a response from Kent Highways regarding the proposal, but it was expecting its comments “soon”.

It is likely this application will go to the council’s planning committee for determination, but there is no date yet.

To view or comment on the plans online, go to swale.gov.uk/planning and search for 19/501921/FULL.

For the latest business news, click here

Read more: All the latest news from Sheerness

Join the debate...
Comments |

Don't have an account? Please Register first!

The KM Group does not moderate comments. Please click here for our house rules.

People who post abusive comments about other users or those featured in articles will be banned.

Thank you. Your comment has been received and will appear on the site shortly.

 

Terms of Comments
We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions to the reader comments but we may intervene and take such action as we think necessary, please click here for our house rules. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report abuse button, contact us here, email multimediadesk@thekmgroup.co.uk or call 01634 227989.

Follow us

Like Us on Facebook

Most popular

Kent Travel News

Close This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies.Learn More