Home   Sittingbourne   News   Article

Boy accused of attempted murder after teenage girl stabbed in Adelaide Drive, Sittingbourne sees charge downgraded

A 12-year-old boy alleged to have stabbed a 15-year-old girl in the abdomen no longer faces a charge of attempted murder.

The youngster, who cannot be identified due to his age, appeared at Maidstone Crown Court today where Judge Julian Smith was told the CPS had reviewed the case and decided the appropriate charge was now wounding with intent.

Police in Adelaide Drive, Sittingbourne
Police in Adelaide Drive, Sittingbourne

Following the alleged stabbing in Adelaide Drive, Sittingbourne, shortly before 4pm on March 22, the girl, who also cannot be named, was taken to King's College Hospital in London where she underwent emergency surgery for a bowel injury.

Her alleged attacker, who has no previous convictions, was arrested the next day and subsequently charged with trying to kill her.

But at court, prosecutor Daniel Stevenson explained: "A review has taken place and the CPS now considers the appropriate charge to be wounding with intent.

"It seems to both of us (prosecution and defence counsel) that the proper course, given this case was sent under the homicide provision, is to remit it back to the youth court and allow the youth court to make its determination."

Because of his current location in approved accommodation the boy was allowed to attend the hearing via remote link.

The judge and barristers also removed their wigs on account of his age.

Maidstone Crown Court. Picture: Martin Apps
Maidstone Crown Court. Picture: Martin Apps

The slightly-built defendant could be seen sitting at a desk, wearing a T-shirt with a drink in front of him and eating a packet of crisps.

He spoke to confirm his name, say 'Hello' to the judge when addressed, that he understood the proceedings and to ask the date of his next hearing which will now be held at Medway youth court.

Judge Smith then addressed the boy about the next step in the case, but said that if convicted and magistrates determined it was a "grave crime" likely to result in a sentence of more than two years he could return to the crown court.

"You came to this court because of the charge you faced which was an attempted murder charge," the judge told him.

"Because that is not the charge you face anymore but has changed to wounding with intent, which is still very serious although not as serious as attempted murder, this case now has to follow a different path."

The youngster was told he would remain at his current accommodation but Judge Smith was unable to give him a date for his hearing in the youth court.

Close This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies.Learn More