Home   Sittingbourne   News   Article

Crashes cause chaos on A249

A man had to be cut from his vehicle by fire crews after two separate crashes brought the A249 to a standstill.

A multi-vehicle accident initially closed the Sheppey-bound carriageway between the Key Street Roundabout and the Iwade turn-off.

Police shut off part of the A249

Fire crews arrived to find a man trapped in one of the vehicles as a result of his injuries.

A spokesman said: "Using heavy rescue equipment firefighters removed the roof to gain access to the man, who was transferred into the care of paramedics."

The road was blocked from around 4.30pm to 5.20pm. One lane was later reopened to allow traffic to pass and so the vehicles could be recovered.

Traffic eventually cleared at 7.30pm.

Another crash on the Stockbury-bound carriageway blocked the road at around 5.30pm.

It led to congestion in Kemsley and officials say routes in and out of Sittingbourne were "heavily affected".

Police cordoned off part of the A249
Police cordoned off part of the A249

Traffic eventually cleared at around 8.30pm.

It came after M2 traffic heading for Sittingbourne was delayed after a car overturned near the junction 5 turn-off.

Meanwhile, there were seven miles of queues due to flooding on the M2 London-bound near the Sittingbourne exit, which affected traffic from Faversham.

Traffic queues Maidstone-bound just after the Grovehurst roundabout
Traffic queues Maidstone-bound just after the Grovehurst roundabout

Highways officials had to close part of the road for more than an hour to carry out emergency repairs.

It reopened at 6.10pm, although delays of up to 10 minutes were reported getting through the area.

Avoid getting stuck on Kent's roads by keeping up-to-date on all of the latest traffic and travel news here or by following our live blog

Read more: All the latest news from Sittingbourne

Close This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies.Learn More