A man has been arrested following a suspected arson attack which threatened to engulf neighbouring homes.
Police believe the front door of the terraced house in Frederick Street, Sittingbourne, was deliberately set alight.
One neighbour, who did not want to be identified, was woken by the commotion.
He said: “I jumped out of bed, put my shorts on and ran downstairs to see if I could help. There were a hell of a lot of flames. The people next door must have been terrified.
“It was lucky the house had a smoke alarm fitted otherwise it could have been a lot worse.”
He said two neighbours dashed out with their own fire extinguishers to fight the blaze.
He added: “The flames were all but out by the time the fire engines arrived.”
It is understood the home’s occupant, a young mother in her 20s, was not inside the building at the time of the fire. A metal security door has since been installed.
Witnesses say two fire engines arrived at the scene and were later joined by two police cars and a police forensics van. The house is now unoccupied.
Detectives investigating the blaze, which broke out at 10.40pm on Sunday, August 1, issued an appeal for witnesses this week. A police spokesman said: “It is believed the front door of the property in Frederick Street had been set alight.
“No-one was in the house at the time but the door, the porch and a large amount of belongings were destroyed.”
A man aged 24 was arrested on suspicion of criminal damage. He has been released on bail while inquiries continue.
The spokesman added: “Officers would like to speak to anyone who may have witnessed the fire or who may have information that could assist with the investigation.”
Anyone with information should call police on 01795 419119 quoting reference 46/138098/21 or call CrimeStoppers anonymously on 0800 555111 or by filling in the online report form.