Published: 11:27, 04 February 2019
| Updated: 12:10, 04 February 2019
A street was closed after a pub chimney caught fire.
Crews were called to The Three Hats, High Street, Milton Regis, at about 2.15pm yesterday after smoke started to fill the venue.
The blaze is thought to have started from a cracked wood burner.
Firefighters tackled it by pouring buckets of water over the burner.
They then closed Milton High Street to use a height vehicle, brought in from Maidstone, to throw water down the chimney from the roof.
Landlord Malcolm Winskill said: "I wasn't at the pub at the time but it started filling with smoke from the wood burner which has a crack in it.
"That's what caused the steam and fire. Staff made sure everyone was outside.
"The fire brigade had to close the High Street to get the height vehicle in to look down the chimney.
"We have the chimney swept once a year but we're meant to do it twice a year and we've had smoke alarms fitted. I'd like to thank the fire brigade who were amazing and the customers who were there at the time."
Despite the drama, the pub remained open.
Sittingbourne fire crew manager, Kev Ford, said: "People who have chimneys should make sure they are swept regularly, we recommend at least twice a season.
"Smoke alarms should be fitted as well."