Home   Sittingbourne   News   Article

Tragic siege daughter: 'We can finally put mum to rest'

Loraine Whiting bled to death after being shot. Picture: PAUL JARRETT
Loraine Whiting bled to death after being shot. Picture: PAUL JARRETT

THE daughter of a woman who bled to death after police refused to allow paramedics to treat her has spoken of her relief that a legal settlement has finally been reached.

Catherine Elvin, whose mother Loraine Whiting died at her home in Ruins Barn Road, Sittingbourne, after being shot in the legs by her estranged husband, said: "I am pleased it is finally over.

"I still feel that it should never have come to this. We have never had an apology from Kent Police and I don’t think we ever will."

The proposal designed to settle outstanding legal costs owed by Mrs Whiting’s family was accepted by Kent Police Authority on Wednesday.

South Norfolk MP Mr Bacon intervened after learning that Kent police had placed a legal charge on Mrs Elvin’s family home in Winfarthing, Norfolk, should it ever be sold.

The police were seeking recovery of £92,000 legal costs from Mrs Elvin whose mother was shot by her estranged husband Leonard Carter. Immediately after shooting his wife, on March 10, 1995, Mr Carter shot himself dead.

Mrs Elvin said on Wednesday: "Kent Police Authority has accepted our offer and our home is going to be safe.

"I hope that no family will ever have to go through what we have gone through to find the truth. I feel they have put myself and my family through intense grief and pain, but on the lighter side, we are pleased that it’s over and we are able to put my mum to rest."

Wednesday’s settlement means that a court hearing planned for November 4 to consider placing a charge on Mrs Elvin’s property will be discontinued when the formalities of the agreement are completed.

Authority chairman Ann Barnes met Mrs Elvin and other members of her family earlier in September.

She presented the proposal to the authority on Wednesday and her recommendation was fully endorsed by all 17 members.

Lawyers working for the authority will now liaise with solicitors representing Mrs Whiting’s family to resolve and close the matter.

After the meeting, Mrs Barnes said: "When I met with Mrs Elvin and her family I promised I would present a proposal we felt was mutually acceptable to both the family and the authority.

"I am really pleased to say that the authority has accepted that offer. Members endorsed my view that we should find a speedy end to what has been a long drawn out matter.

"Particularly we hope that, once the formalities have been dealt with, the family and the emergency services officers involved can get a measure of peace and put this behind them."

Close This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies.Learn More