Published: 09:11, 13 April 2019
| Updated: 10:23, 13 April 2019
A discarded cigarette has been blamed for a fire which severely damaged a family home.
Firefighters were called to the blaze at a semi-detached home in Lynsted Lane, Lynsted, near Sittingbourne, just before 4pm yesterday.
The alarm was raised by a neighbour who could see the fire in the roof.
Crews say they were faced with a well developed fire in the roof of the home and were able to rescue two pet dogs from the property.
The roof suffered severe fire damage while the rest of the property suffered extensive smoke, heat and water damage.
A Kent Fire and Rescue Service (KFRS) spokesman said: "It is believed the fire was started due to a discarded cigarette in the garden, which set fire to dry contents that spread to a log pile, fencing and then to the wooden exterior of the kitchen before making its way to the roof space. It is thought to have been accidental."
There were no reported injuries.
A KFRS Volunteer Response Team and the Red Cross Volunteers were called to help the family with emotion and welfare support.
Firefighters are urging people who smoke to always fully extinguish their cigarettes in ashtrays and not to throw them away, especially into the garden.
For further support and advice around smoking please visit our website or call our Home Safety team on 0800 923 7000.