Home   Sittingbourne   News   Article

Fire at home in Lynsted, near Sittingbourne

By Robert Barman

A discarded cigarette has been blamed for a fire which severely damaged a family home.

Firefighters were called to the blaze at a semi-detached home in Lynsted Lane, Lynsted, near Sittingbourne, just before 4pm yesterday.

The alarm was raised by a neighbour who could see the fire in the roof.

Firefighters were called by a neighbour who spotted the roof fire
Firefighters were called by a neighbour who spotted the roof fire

Crews say they were faced with a well developed fire in the roof of the home and were able to rescue two pet dogs from the property.

The roof suffered severe fire damage while the rest of the property suffered extensive smoke, heat and water damage.

A Kent Fire and Rescue Service (KFRS) spokesman said: "It is believed the fire was started due to a discarded cigarette in the garden, which set fire to dry contents that spread to a log pile, fencing and then to the wooden exterior of the kitchen before making its way to the roof space. It is thought to have been accidental."

There were no reported injuries.

The fire started from a cigarette discarded in the garden
The fire started from a cigarette discarded in the garden

A KFRS Volunteer Response Team and the Red Cross Volunteers were called to help the family with emotion and welfare support.

Firefighters are urging people who smoke to always fully extinguish their cigarettes in ashtrays and not to throw them away, especially into the garden.

For further support and advice around smoking please visit our website or call our Home Safety team on 0800 923 7000.

Join the debate...
Comments |

Don't have an account? Please Register first!

The KM Group does not moderate comments. Please click here for our house rules.

People who post abusive comments about other users or those featured in articles will be banned.

Thank you. Your comment has been received and will appear on the site shortly.

 

Terms of Comments
We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions to the reader comments but we may intervene and take such action as we think necessary, please click here for our house rules. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report abuse button, contact us here, email multimediadesk@thekmgroup.co.uk or call 01634 227989.

Follow us

Like Us on Facebook

Most popular

Kent Travel News

Close This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies.Learn More