Home   Sittingbourne   Sport   Article

Sheppey United 3 Glebe 3: Ernie Batten's men clinch a point with a comeback in the Southern Counties East Premier Division clash

More news, no ads


Sheppey United staged a thrilling comeback in their top of the table clash against Glebe.

The Ites, who started the day top of the Southern Counties East Premier Division, were three goals down at the break against second placed Glebe but fought back to level the game and almost won it too.

Jefferson Aibangbee scored Sheppey United's equaliser against Glebe Picture: Marc Richards
Jefferson Aibangbee scored Sheppey United's equaliser against Glebe Picture: Marc Richards

Sheppey boss Ernie Batten was delighted with the fightback, saying: “I said a few things at half-time that our team spirit would be tested to the limit and can we get back into the game? We needed to make a good start, get an early goal and it would give us some hope.

“You feel you are safe at three but in the first half I thought we had opportunities and balls into the box, but nothing fell for us, our quality wasn’t good enough. It totally changed in the second half.

“I felt Glebe thought they had the game won at 3-0 and I don’t blame them for thinking that, but they allowed us a bit of freedom to play our football and we took advantage of it.

“We feel a little disappointed we haven’t won it in the end because we had some really good chances, including a superb save at the near post by their keeper. We had a penalty shout, which we have all seen given.”

Glebe took a fifth minute lead infront of a crowd of 454 at Holm Park, Jamie Philpot heading home a left-sided cross.

Sheppey had plenty of the ball in the opening half but just lacked the potency to turn it into a goal. In contrast Glebe were ruthless when they got a sniff.

Jack Midson headed a corner wide and Liam Gillies smacked an effort off the upright before Glebe struck again midway through the half. Matt Parson’s shot was saved but a corner routine caught Sheppey out, with the ball played into the near post and then out for Ryan King-Elliot to smash it home.

A few more half chances came and went for Sheppey before Glebe struck again on 43 minutes, a fine strike from Philpot sneaking in to give the visitors a healthy lead at the break.

With a three-goal lead, Glebe naturally sat off and that invited Sheppey to go at them with the likes of Malachi Hudson getting plenty of the ball in good areas. It was a run from Hudson that led to Gillies getting one back, finding the net as the ball was fired into the box.

With an hour gone Sheppey had their second with Ashley Sains glancing the ball into the net from a corner.

Glebe had their moments but Sheppey defended much better in the second half and the home side got their equaliser with 12 minutes left. Jefferson Aibangbee was there from another corner to convert to the delight of the home crowd.

The visiting keeper Billy Johnson made some great late saves, including one low down to deny Gillies a winner. In stoppage-time there were big shouts for a penalty when Hudson was bundled over in the box but the referee waved play on.

Close This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies.Learn More