Home   Thanet   Sport   Article

Margate 1 Dulwich Hamlet 4 match report: Luke Wanadio bags hat-trick to leave Gate striker Steve Cawley’s second-half strike in vain as Margate’s miserable Isthmian Premier run continues

Margate’s miserable winless Isthmian Premier run continued as they lost to Dulwich Hamlet on Saturday.

First-half goals from top scorer Luke Wanadio and captain Jerome Binnom-Williams put improving Hamlet in command before Wanadio got his second.

Boss Mark Stimson – still is without a win in charge of Margate, losing 4-1 at home to Dulwich Hamlet on Saturday. Picture: Randolph File
Boss Mark Stimson – still is without a win in charge of Margate, losing 4-1 at home to Dulwich Hamlet on Saturday. Picture: Randolph File

Striker Steve Cawley pulled one back in the second period to give Mark Stimson’s side faint hope, only for Wanadio to complete his hat-trick with his team’s final effort in their 4-1 triumph.

It means relegation-threatened Gate still are yet to taste victory under manager Stimson and haven’t won since November 4.

Margate goalkeeper Harry Seaden was called into action as early as the fourth minute at Hartsdown Park in front of an 827-strong crowd, parrying a powerful left-footed shot from Anthony Jeffrey.

Five minutes later, Seaden was perhaps slightly fortunate as he spilled a high cross, only to be spared his blushes.

But some magic from former Dover, Dartford and Folkestone wideman Wanadio did give the away side a 12th-minute lead. He ran in behind and sent his effort looping beyond Seaden in front of the healthy away contingent.

Dulwich Hamlet’s captain Jerome Binnom-Williams, formerly of Maidstone, was among the goals for them at Margate. Picture: Steve Terrell
Dulwich Hamlet’s captain Jerome Binnom-Williams, formerly of Maidstone, was among the goals for them at Margate. Picture: Steve Terrell

After the incident, new midfielders Kadell Daniel and Dominic Vose led the Gate protests. Vose appeared to clearly be fouled inside the opposition half. The free-kick was given the other way by referee Joseph Dann-Pye, though, and Hamlet took full advantage.

Mr Dann-Pye wasn't proving a very popular man among Margate’s players. Influential playmaker Ben Greenhalgh became the first player to be cautioned for too much backchat midway through the first period and, soon after, returning home midfielder Yaser Kasim also was booked.

Dulwich keeper Ravan Constable then gathered new arrival Toby Stevenson’s left-wing delivery after he had been played through well by centre-half Tyrone Sterling.

But Binnom-Williams, formerly of Maidstone, doubled their advantage with 38 minutes played. He tried his luck after a superb left-wing run and, although Seaden got a hand to the strike, he could only divert the ball against the post as it trickled over the line to spark more celebrations for Hakan Hayrettin’s troops.

Four minutes after the restart, Jeffrey cut inside new Gate right-back Archie Payne before he saw his shot clip against the crossbar.

Left-back Stevenson saw a long-range effort fly inches over for the hosts, but Dulwich then effectively put the result beyond doubt.

Wanadio was handed the goal in the 52nd minute, his strike taking a wicked deflection to wrong-foot Seaden.

The hosts were handed a lifeline on 65 minutes. Greenhalgh crossed after a short-corner routine from the left for Cawley who nodded home his 18th goal of the campaign at the near post.

Constable had to be at his best to get down sharply to tip wide Cawley’s low 20-yard drive as Gate began to come alive while Stevenson nodded a lovely in-swinging Greenhalgh cross narrowly wide.

But the away team got their fourth as Wanadio arrowed a low drive beyond Seaden to complete his hat-trick and move to 17 goals this season.

Fourth-bottom Margate are winless in 18 matches and are presently on a four-game losing streak while Dulwich, on a five-game unbeaten run, are six points off the play-offs in ninth.

Greenhalgh had returned to action at Hartsdown Park for the first time since last month’s controversial three-game ban from the start.

Other home starters included youngster Fyn Rutherford alongside recently-signed full-backs Stevenson and teenager Panyi.

They were captained by defender Harry Hudson, with regular skipper Sam Blackman still out injured.

Defender Harrison Hatfull was on Hamlet's bench as he returned to Margate, having switched sides over the festive period.

He came on in the latter stages on a successful return.

Margate: Seaden, Stevenson (Johnson 78mins), Kasim, Sterling, Hudson, Vose, Cawley, Daniel, Greenhalgh, Rutherford (Bowman 82mins), Panyi (Lowe 82mins). Subs not used: Hobbs, Sutcliffe.

Dulwich Hamlet: Constable, Braham-Barrett, Chambers, Wanadio, Scott, Mills, Jeffrey, Egan, Shokunbi (Bonnett-Johnson 85mins), Binnom-Williams (Hatfull 79mins), Parry. Subs not used: Ayuk, Clifton, Shonibare.

Referee: Joseph Dann-Pye.

Attendance: 827.

Close This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies.Learn More