Home   Tonbridge   News   Article

Tonbridge man Grant Mitchell died after taking a fatal morphine overdose at Hadlow Road home

A woman who thought her boyfriend was playing dead desperately tried to resuscitate him after realising he wasn't breathing, an inquest heard.

Lisa Feltham carried out CPR on 41-year-old Grant Mitchell after she found him unresponsive in their Tonbridge flat in February.

Paramedics rushed to the property in Hadlow Road but were unable to revive Mr Mitchell, who was a known recreational drug user.

Gravesend Old Town Hall, High Street.
Gravesend Old Town Hall, High Street.

The court was told pathologist Dr Anne Fleming found he had taken a fatal morphine overdose.

At the inquest into Mr Mitchell's death, senior coroner Roger Hatch heard the couple had been out drinking the day before and the 41-year-old smoked crack cocaine twice throughout the afternoon.

He was known to smoke the drug two to three times a week and also used cocaine in the past.

DS Nicholas from Kent Police, who gave evidence at the hearing at Gravesend Old Town Hall on Friday, said Ms Feltham told police she went to bed at 1.30am on February 6 leaving her boyfriend downstairs.

She said he came to bed some time later but his snoring led her to sleep on the sofa.

The following morning she walked past him lying in their bed but couldn't wake him. She threw a glass of water over him as she believed he was "playing about" but soon realised he wasn't breathing.

Upon arriving at the property, police found Mr Mitchell's body in the living room where paramedics had moved him before continuing CPR.

The court heard officers found drug paraphernalia, including a silver pipe, pestle and mortar and white powder, in the flat.

Coroner Roger Hatch recorded a verdict of death by drugs.

Close This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies.Learn More