Home   Tunbridge Wells   News   Article

Fire service warns people to keep chimneys clean following fire in Lower Green Road, Speldhurst

The fire service is warning residents with open fires to keep their chimneys clean.

It follows a roaring blaze in Lower Green Road, Speldhurst, at 4.13pm on Monday.

The fire started in the chimney stack of a two- storey property, which had no smoke alarm, following a large build up of soot, despite it being cleaned in October.

Stock pic
Stock pic

Mark Havell, Tunbridge Wells watch manager, said: "Householders with open fires may think their homes are protected because they had their chimneys swept before the cold weather set in.

"But as this incident shows, if you have been using your fire frequently over the Christmas and New Year there may be more of a build up of soot in the chimney stack than you realise.

"Working chimneys should be swept at least twice a year as a matter of routine, but if you have been burning lots of wood since it was last swept I would strongly recommend that you consider having it swept again.

"Please ensure you have at least one working smoke alarm on each floor of your property to provide you with early warning in the event of a fire."

Before leaving crews fitted two free smoke alarms.

Close This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies.Learn More