Firefighters were called to a blaze at a young family's home this evening.
The fire broke out just after 6pm at the flat in St Peter's Road, Whitstable.
Two fire engines were called and crews forced their way in wearing breathing gear to tackle the flames.
Firefighters managed to confine the blaze to a bedroom, but despite using a powerful fan to clear smoke and fumes, other rooms and two neighbouring properties suffered smoke damage.
The fire is believed to have started in a battery that was being charged.
No one was injured and three pet cats were rescued from the property.
Firefighters brought the blaze under control and left the flat just after 7pm.