Home   Whitstable   News   Article

Perry Redmond guilty of savage hammer attack on elderly woman in Yorkletts near Whitstable

A man who subjected a terrified pensioner to a murderous hammer attack will be sentenced tomorrow.

A jury found Perry Redmond, 49, guilty of attempting to murder the 72-year-old at her home in Yorkletts, near Whitstable.

Redmond, of Wheatsheaf Close, Faversham, walked out of his trial at Canterbury Crown Court and refused to give evidence.

Redmond 'walloped' the woman with a hammer
Redmond 'walloped' the woman with a hammer

Now Judge Heather Norton has asked his barrister Paul Hogben to inquire if the thug will appear by prison CCTV to hear his sentence, expected to be many years.

But the victim, who survived the "savage and sustained” attack is expected to be in court for the hearing when her statement on the impact the attack has had on her will be read to the judge.

Prosecutor Allister Walker told Canterbury Crown Court how Redmond smashed the nose and teeth of woman after kissing the hammer.

The bully ordered the terrified woman to get on her knees and "beg for your life."

Redmond had denied attempted murder and left the dock as the prosecutor was about to show footage of part of the incident and his arrest in Dargate Road.

The prosecutor said Redmond had befriended the victim and had asked him to stay at her home while she was visiting Spain.

Mr Walker said Redmond had turned up later asking for money and was told the pensioner could not lend him any.

The attack happened in the victim's home in Dargate Road
The attack happened in the victim's home in Dargate Road

“He then attacked her with a frying pan," he said.

"He then stopped that attack, went to his camper van which was parked next door and returned with a claw hammer.

“He then repeatedly hit her over the head and face. She tried to get away but he pursued her outside where he continued beating her until she lost consciousness," he said.

Mr Walker told how the wannabe bouncer then walked away leaving his victim “terribly injured” suffering from nose, teeth and lip injuries, a broken collar bone, and fractured ribs.

He said that despite her wounds, she recovered to take herself back into her home for safety and shut herself inside her bathroom.

Mr Walker added: “That action may have saved her life as the defendant then returned minutes later and tried to get inside.

“The prosecution say he intended to kill her."

The victim’s CCTV caught Redmond hitting her repeatedly with the hammer telling her: “No-one is going to help you now.”

The prosecutor said: “She begged him to stop as she was terrified.”

Neighbours also witnessed Redmond telling her to get on her knees “and beg for your life” and he was seen kissing the hammer again before throwing it away.

Close This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies.Learn More