Home   Ashford   News   Article

Macknade to open in Elwick Place, Ashford, before Christmas

Restaurant bosses hope to be trading in a town centre leisure complex before Christmas.

Macknade - which intended to open a restaurant, bar and delicatessen in one of the largest retail space in Elwick Place, Ashford last month - is now planning to launch early December.

How Macknade is set to look when it opens at Elwick Place (20804401)
How Macknade is set to look when it opens at Elwick Place (20804401)

Managing director Stefano Cuomo, who runs a food hall in Faversham, is aiming to be open by Tuesday, December 10.

In September, Macknade celebrated its upcoming arrival in the town centre by hosting a pre-launch party at the multi-million pound cinema and leisure complex.

Hundreds of people enjoyed live music and food and drink as the company offered a taste of what is to come.

Once operational, the family-run business will be open seven days a week.

Bosses previously announced that they have "long term" plans to trade in the town after signing a 10-year lease for the 5,123 sq ft unit in Elwick Road earlier this year.

Managing director Stefano Cuomo outside the foodhall in Faversham
Managing director Stefano Cuomo outside the foodhall in Faversham

About 30% of the unit will be dedicated to the sale of goods, with the remaining 70% taken up by the dining area.

Writing on the company's website, Mr Cuomo said: "Our aim was to have our new space in Elwick Place trading by autumn, and to that end we lined up a fantastic mini festival in September to introduce Macknade to Ashford.

"The sun shone and we filled the square at Elwick Place with the very best local produce, demonstrations and music. The atmosphere was something else and it was an event for our team to be proud of.

"Macknade at its core is all about food and drink, but we couldn’t function without the engineers and craftspeople who work with us to deliver the experiences we are so proud of and I want to send out a big thanks to these teams.

"Now, back to that Autumn opening… It has slipped a touch but not too far!

Hundreds of people enjoyed food, drink and live music at Macknade's pre-launch party in September. Picture: Chris Davey
Hundreds of people enjoyed food, drink and live music at Macknade's pre-launch party in September. Picture: Chris Davey

"We are on track to open in early December, so we can celebrate the holiday season together!

"On December 10th, my favourite sister Francesca celebrates her birthday and I want that to be in Elwick Place, with a glass of Kentish sparkling in hand.

"This is the aim and we will of course keep you all updated as things progress."

Snap Fitness, AIMREC, Recursive Media and Dansaki Afro-Caribbean are some of the new names set to fill the leisure complex - which have sat empty since the Picturehouse cinema and 58-bedroom Travelodge opened last December.

AIMREC model railway museum is set to opened at around the same time as Macknade, with a launch date planned for Saturday, December 7.

Elwick Place opened last December. Picture: Ady Kerry
Elwick Place opened last December. Picture: Ady Kerry

The showroom will be based at Elwick Place until the railway museum relocates to a permanent home in County Square.

For the latest business news, click here

For more news on big brands and good places to enjoy a tasty bite, head to our Eat, Drink, Shop section

Read more: All the latest news from Ashford


More by this author


Close This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies.Learn More