Home   Canterbury   Sport   Article

Kent Spitfires lose by 115 runs to Middlesex in Natwest T20 Blast at Lord's

Kent's unbeaten start to the Natwest T20 Blast campaign came to an abrupt halt at Lord's on Thursday night.

Spitfires won their first two games in the group stages of this summer's competition but were blown away by Middlesex in front of a big crowd at the home of cricket.

Set a massive 206 to win, Kent's reply never looked like getting close and they were eventually dismissed for just 90 in less than 15 overs.

Darren Stevens made the first breakthrough, enticing a nick behind from Dawid Malan with his first ball of the match.

Kent were without the injured David Griffiths but his replacemant Calum Haggett was also in the wickets early on, removing Nick Compton for five.

Paul Stirling hit four big sixes in a 31-ball half-century, taking a particular liking for spinner Adam Riley, whose first over went for 21 runs.

Together with England's Eoin Morgan, Stirling gave added impetus to Middlesex in the middle of their innings, putting a partnership of 104 together in just 8.1 overs.

Stevens ended the fireworks, however, tempting Stirling to give Daniel Bell-Drummond a catch in the deep for 90 from 50 balls - including a total of seven sixes.

Morgan went on to complete his half-century in just 25 balls but soon departed, caught in the deep by Alex Blake from the spin of Riley.

Kent paceman Mitch Claydon Picture: Barry Goodwin
Kent paceman Mitch Claydon Picture: Barry Goodwin

Middlesex faltered towards the death with Mitch Claydon (0-24) returning and they only went from 170-4 in the 16th over to 205-5 by the end of their 20 overs.

Bell-Drummond and Joe Denly made a cautious start in the powerplay before Toby Roland-Jones trapped the former in front for 14 in the third over.

Denly followed at the start of the fourth over when he was bowled by Steven Finn for just six.

Matt Coles was promoted to three in the order but faced just six balls in the powerplay as Kent were 44-2 after six overs and the Spitfires struggled to find any momentum to their reply.

Skipper Sam Northeast made 20 in 21 balls before perishing going for big runs in the ninth over with the Kent total at 56-3 and he was promptly followed by Coles.

The big-hitting Sam Billings and Alex Blake then had to repair the damage but both fell to James Franklin in the search of quick runs.

Franklin took 5-21 from four excellent overs and by the time he finished his devastating spell, Kent were 84-7 in 13 overs.

Paul Stirling bowled Haggett for just two in the next over and then Claydon was stumped off the bowling of leg spinner Nathan Sowter. Fabian Cowdrey quickly followed as Kent were dismissed for just 90 in the 15th over.

Kent are back in action on Friday at Beckenham when they host Surrey in front of what is expected to be a bumper crowd. The game starts at 5.30pm.

Close This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies.Learn More