Home   Dover   News   Article

Emergency services attend house fire in London Road, Dover

A cat and several guinea pigs died after a tumble dryer caught alight.

Two fire crews were called to the house in London Road, Dover after the blaze broke out in the kitchen.

The fire happened at a house in London Road, Dover
The fire happened at a house in London Road, Dover

On arrival, all residents were out of the house and firefighters rescued two cats, one dog and a guinea pig, before using specialist animal masks to provide oxygen.

Sadly, one cat and a number of guinea pigs died at the scene.

It's believed the fire started accidentally when a tumble dryer caught alight in the kitchen.

Firefighters have now issued a warning to remind people to take precautions when using a tumble dryer, such as not leaving it unattended when in use, following manufacturer guidelines and cleaning it regularly to remove any excess fluff.

Members of Kent Fire and Rescue Service's volunteer response were on-hand to provide assistance and support for affected residents at the scene of the blaze, which happened yesterday at 9.20am.

One person was assessed and treated at the scene for smoke inhalation before being taken to William Harvey Hospital by ambulance crews.

Kent Police also attended to assist with traffic control.

Read more: All the latest news from Dover

Close This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies.Learn More