Home   Dover   News   Article

Phillip Poole, owner of Dover Cycle Centre in Bench Street, tells of his brother in law's brutal death

The owner of a Dover cycle shop has told how his brother-in-law was gunned down and his son slashed with a machete during a brutal house raid in the Bahamas.

Philip Poole, who owns Dover Cycle Centre in Bench Street, said Edgar Dart, 56, was shot in front of his family when he argued with three armed intruders.

The gang was threatening his 13-year-old son George and five relatives after bursting into the luxury home.

Edgar Dart was gunned down in the picturesque Bahamas
Edgar Dart was gunned down in the picturesque Bahamas

As Mr Dart lay dying on the floor, the killers tied the rest of the family up and ransacked the house before fleeing with cash and jewellery.

Mr Poole’s own son, 29-year-old Pip, was also attacked and suffered machete wounds.

Mr Poole, 59, of St Martin’s Hill, Canterbury, told a national newspaper: “Edgar was a tough guy and as soon as the men burst into the house he remonstrated with them. One of the raiders then shot him in the chest.

“The gang then tied everyone up, including his mother Joy and George. I have been told they were forced to look on helplessly as Edgar lay on the floor bleeding to death in front of them.

“It took him around an hour to die and there was just nothing they could do for him.

“It took him around an hour to die and there was just nothing they could do for him." - Phillip Poole

"The gang simply ransacked the house taking money and jewellery and then left. We just cannot believe what has happened.

“It is so difficult being so many miles away when family members have been involved in something as horrific as this.

“The police report on the killing is very scant. Crime is on the increase on the island and they do not want such matters reported because they fear it will damage the tourist industry.”

The house, near the city of Freeport, belongs to Joy, who is a 79-year-old widow.

Her other son Colin, 55, his wife Alison and their 15-year-old son Luke also witnessed the murder.

Mr Poole added: “I do know that Alison managed to finally free herself and raise the alarm but by then it was too late for Edgar, who had bled to death.

“The worst image we have from this tragedy is George bound and gagged watching his father die – and there was nothing he could do to help him.”

A Foreign Office spokesman said: “We are aware of the death in the Bahamas and we are providing consular assistance.”

Close This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies.Learn More