Home   Dover   News   Article

Flat blaze sparks evacuation drama

A BLOCK of flats in a Kent town had to be evacuated after a fire broke out in a ground-floor apartment.

The property in Royal Victoria Place, off the High Street, Dover, was engulfed with smoke after a plastic object was left on top of an oven at around 9pm on Friday.

Despite having taken down their fire alarms, the occupants escaped unharmed, but on leaving the building the front door was left open, resulting in the smoke spreading throughout the block.

The other flats were evacuated as a precaution.

Dover watch manager Tony Scott: "This is why people should regularly check and never take down their fire alarms. They serve a purpose."

Close This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies.Learn More