Home   Dover   News   Article

Martin Jepps, of Romney Marsh, took medication overdose in Dover, inquest hears

A man killed himself with a medication overdose when the balance of his mind was disturbed, a coroner has ruled.

Martin Jepps left a note in his flat in Dover saying: "I'm sorry, all my love, finally I'll have peace."

It also had the initials DNR, which was taken to mean "do not resuscitate."

Martin Jepps took his own life
Martin Jepps took his own life

After two days of evidence at an inquest Katrina Hepburn, assistant coroner for central and south east Kent, concluded that he had taken his life.

She ruled Mr Jepps had consumed an overdose of his prescription medication "while the balance of his mind was disturbed due to anxiety and distress.
"This occurred on a background of mental health illness."

Following a post-mortem examination the medical cause of death was officially classed as drug overdose.

The inquest, at Archbishop's Palace, Maidstone, this Tuesday and Wednesday heard Mr Jepps had been diagnosed with ADHD and suffered anxiety and depression.

He had in the past tried to hang himself and inject himself with a a syringe full of air.

Family members said Mr Jepps was in dispute with his landlady and neighbours at the block of flats he lived in.

He also found the block too noisy and notes he had written asking people not to slam doors were found.

DS Devon told the hearing he felt harassed by neighbours.

She said: "He lived in a place where people coming and going added to his distress and experienced levels of paranoia."

The inquest heard the unemployed 28-year-old died at his flat in Priory Gate Road, Dover, on June 15 last year.

Det Sgt Stephanie Devon told the hearing: "Toxicology tests say there was a fatal level of drugs in his system.

"There were no illicit drugs and there was no sign of forced entry. All the windows were locked."

The inquest was told Mr Jepps took medication for conditions such as joint, abdominal and neck pain and for muscle spasms.

Vivienne Hudson, liaison psychiatric nurse, told the inquest she had seen Mr Jepps at the William Harvey Hospital in Ashford on June 1 last year.

She said she knew he had suicidal thoughts but her understanding by now was that he had no intention of acting on them.

She said there was no sign he was high risk and if there was a serious concern he could have been detained.

Mr Jepps' GP, Abiola Idowu, from Dover's White Cliffs Medical Centre in Folkestone Road, said Mr Jepps was found to have unstable personality disorder.

But he told the hearing: "He never said he wanted to end it all."

He said there were "no red flags" on that issue.

General view of Priory Gate Road, where Martin Jepps lived and died. Picture: Google Maps
General view of Priory Gate Road, where Martin Jepps lived and died. Picture: Google Maps

Mr Jepps was found dead on June 16.

The day before he had learned his landlady had been granted a court order to evict him.

He had been given 12 days to move.

Mr Jepps had already secured other accommodation, at St Mary's Bay, Romney Marsh, where he grew up as a child.

But that would not have been ready for him for a few weeks.

He asked to stay at Priory Gate Road until then but the landlady said the court order meant he had to go by June 27. Mr Jepps was upset by this, his friend Ceri Apbyrn told the inquest.

Mr Jepps sought help from Sanctuary Housing to deal with the problem.

By Saturday, June 16 Mr Apbyrn had been concerned when Mr Jepps failed to answer his calls and went to the flat at 7pm.

He got a neighbour to let him in and found Mr Jepps' body.

Mr Apbyrn told the inquest: "I knew something terrible had happened. I felt the back of his neck and he was stone cold."

After hearing all the evidence Miss Hepburn recorded that M Jepps had died the day before.

Miss Hepburn asked Mr Apbyrn if he thought Mr Jepps intended to take his own life.

He said: "No, he was still looking forward to moving to his new flat."

Family members also express surprise at his death considering this.

They said Mr Jepps, who lived alone, was extremely generous and good natured but that could lead to people taking advantage of him.

Mr Jepps' family were constantly supportive and in a statement after the inquest his mother Melody Jepps said: "Martin was a handsome, beautiful, funny soul who just wanted to help others and have a peaceful life.

"We will never get over this loss.

"I miss his beautiful face, his cheeky smile, his hugs and our daily chats.

"He is talked about often and his little nieces and nephew will always know of their Uncle Mart and how much he loved them.

"My only consolation is that now he at last has the peace he so desperately wanted."

For confidential support on an emotional issue, call Samaritans on 116 123 at any time.

Read more: All the latest news from Romney Marsh

For more information on why we cover inquests, click here.

Close This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies.Learn More