Published: 12:28, 29 July 2019
| Updated: 15:25, 29 July 2019
An MP charged with three counts of sexual assault against two women has said today that he is completely confident he will clear his name.
Addressing his constituents for the first time since the charges last Monday, Charlie Elphicke has denied he did any wrong doing.
In a statement he said: “As everyone knows, I deny any wrongdoing. I remain completely confident that I will clear my name. I would like to thank my family, local party and constituents for their unwavering support.
"It’s business as usual as I continue to work tirelessly for the people of Dover and Deal and strongly support the Government of Boris Johnson in Parliament.
“Any constituent in need of assistance should please get in contact.
Mr Elphicke had the Conservative whip withdrawn within hours of the Crown Prosecution Service announcing he had been charged with three counts of sexual assault against two women.
The charges relate to offences said to have happened in 2007 and 2016 and relate to two women.
His constituency’s Conservative association has given their full support.
Dover and Deal Conservative Association chairman Keith Single said: “Throughout the last 20 months since these allegations were first made, Charlie has had our full support.
“That support will continue. Basic British values require that everyone remains innocent until proven otherwise."
More by this authorEleanor Perkins