Home   Dover   News   Article

Suicide of woman accused of fraud in St Margaret’s between Dover and Deal

ByEast Kent Mercury Reporter

The secrets of a law graduate who had told only two people she was being investigated for fraud were revealed during her inquest.

Malaysian-born Hui Ling Teh, 26, who moved from Leeds to London in December 2013, travelled by train from St Pancras to Dover Priory and jumped to her death at the cliffs in St Margaret’s on Friday, May 1, 2015.

She had been on bail for fraud and money laundering charges since she was arrested in October 2013, along with other employees at a law firm in Leeds where she had been working. 

The Cliffs at St Margaret's Bay
The Cliffs at St Margaret's Bay

She was required to report to the police station regularly and was not allowed to leave the country, despite the fact she had family abroad.

She had booked her train ticket online three days before, on April 28, researched the spot and left letters for her boyfriend of three years Wayne Chen and parents. This led assistant coroner Christina Freedman to record a verdict of suicide.

Mr Chen, who gave evidence, said his girlfriend would cry about her situation but would otherwise show few signs of concern. He and one of her friends were the only people to know about the charges.

Her last conversation was with Mr Chen around 1pm that day, when she told him she was shopping. He said: “I didn’t feel concerned about that. The last message I received from her was about two o’clock to say she was sleepy and she wanted to go to sleep.”

At 6pm, after he failed to get hold of his girlfriend, Mr Chen used tracking app Find Friends, which located her mobile on the cliff at Dover. He called his housemate to see if Miss Teh was in her room, but she was not.

He said: “I believed that something had happened then.”

Both Metropolitan Police and Kent Police were contacted, with a helicopter scrambled to search the area. Her body was located at 8.25pm at Fan Bay and retrieved by the coastguard.

“She was not strong enough to deal with her position. She felt that she had let her family down" - DS Steve Rudden

Consultant pathologist for East Kent Hospitals Dr Miklos Perenyei said death was likely to have been instantaneous.

Traces of paracetamol were found in her liver but no alcohol, a question which her boyfriend asked.

Her cause of death was given as multiple injuries, consistent with a fall from the cliff.

DS Steve Rudden said: “She was not strong enough to deal with her position. She felt that she had let her family down.”

Anyone feeling desperate or suicidal can call Canterbury Samaritans in confidence on 01227 457777.

Close This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies.Learn More