Home   Dover   Sport   Article

Dover Athletic 0 FC Halifax Town 0 - match report

By Josh Fordham

Dover drew their third game in the space of seven days when they were held at home 0-0 by FC Halifax Town in the National League this afternoon.

Chris Kinnear's side struggled to break down Halifax and there was a lot of long ball football from both teams.

In a game of few chances Dover had the best opportunities but were restricted to shots from outside the box.

Halifax were clinging on to the point in the dying minutes of the game after the away side were reduced to 10 men. Danny Clarke was sent off after a nasty challenge but it was too little too late for the home team.

Chris Kinnear Picture: Tony Flashman
Chris Kinnear Picture: Tony Flashman

The first half was an even affair with neither side having many clear cut opportunities.

Mitch Brundle had the best chance of the first half when he unleashed an effort from 20 yards 10 minutes from the break, which was well saved by the Halifax goalkeeper Sam Johnson. From the follow-up it looked like Ryan Bird was going to have a tap in to make it 1-0 but Johnson was quick to his feet and made a second save.

Halifax had a shout for a penalty five minutes from half-time when it looked like Scott McManus was bundled over by Femi Ilesanmi but nothing was given by the referee.

Mitch Brundle Picture: Tony Flashman
Mitch Brundle Picture: Tony Flashman

Dover did lose Anthony Jeffrey to injury in the 12th minute when he went down with no one around him. Kadell Daniel came on to replace him on the right.

Giancarlo Gallifuoco had an early chance in the second half for Dover from a corner in the 49th minute. Daniel had done well to win a corner and from the resulting set play Gallifuoco had a free header but couldn’t quite get it on target.

Halifax had their best chance of the match, and first shot on target, in the 60th minute. MacDonald did well on the right and crossed to find Denton. The big striker couldn't get a clean header on the ball and it loops up for Walker to easily save.

Bird was close to giving Dover the lead in the 67th minute when he latched onto a poor clearance from Halifax’s Jake Hibbs. He lashed his shot just wide of the post and was Dover’s first real chance of the second half.

Gallifuoco was on the receiving end of a nasty tackle from Hibbs three minutes before the Bird chance but the Halifax player only received a yellow card from the referee.

One minute before the end of the game Halifax were reduced to 10 men after Danny Clarke was given a straight red.

This led to a last minute onslaught from Dover but it was too late in the game to make any real advantage of the extra man.

Dover: Walker, Gallifuoco, Parry, Essam, Passley, Ilesanmi, Brundle (C), Nortey (Bellamy 82), Jeffrey (Daniel 12), Pinnock (Alabi 76), Bird. Subs not used: Fazakerley, Deen-Conteh, Bellamy.

Attendance: 1,127

Join the debate...
Comments |

Don't have an account? Please Register first!

The KM Group does not moderate comments. Please click here for our house rules.

People who post abusive comments about other users or those featured in articles will be banned.

Thank you. Your comment has been received and will appear on the site shortly.


Terms of Comments
We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions to the reader comments but we may intervene and take such action as we think necessary, please click here for our house rules. If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report abuse button, contact us here, email multimediadesk@thekmgroup.co.uk or call 01634 227989.

Follow us

Like Us on Facebook

Most popular

Kent Travel News

Close This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies.Learn More