Published: 06:00, 21 July 2019
A risk of customers being poisoned and food debris found strewn across floors led to one town centre restaurant being hit with a damning food hygiene rating.
China Village, in Market Place, Faversham, scored just one out of five and was told to make major improvements following a visit from the Food Standards Agency on May 1.
A report compiled by food and safety officer Richard Beckett was obtained by KentOnline through a Freedom of Information request.
It reveals how uncovered raw chicken was found being stored above cooked meat in the venue’s fridge.
Mr Beckett wrote: “There is a serious risk that the cooked meat could be contaminated by bacteria from the raw chicken, leading to possible ill health through food poisoning.”
Meanwhile, an uncovered container of beef was found defrosting on the floor beneath a shelf, exposing it to possible contamination.
“This is a bad practice,” Mr Beckett added.
“At all stages of production and processing, food is to be protected against any contamination likely to render it unfit for human consumption.
In several areas, food debris was found on surfaces, including beneath and behind chest freezers in the storage room, and structural surfaces in the external lavatory were deemed “dirty and mouldy”.
Food, oil, and grease were discovered under the cooking range and a suitable sanitiser was not found during the inspection.
Mr Beckett said: “There were many food products found uncovered in your fridges and freezers.
“I recommend that all foods are covered to protect them from potential contamination.
“A chef was seen chopping raw chicken on a yellow chopping board.
“I strongly recommend that you follow the coloured chopping board chart you have on the wall of your kitchen and always chop meat on the red board.”
This was followed by a further visit on Thursday, May 23, where it was noted “that improvements had been made”.
It was due to be reinspected a month later.
Efforts were made to contact the management at China Village, but no response had been received.