A family fled after fire tore through their loft and spread downwards into their first floor last night (Nov 21).
Smoke from the blaze, at Brambley Crescent, Folkestone, also spread to the lofts of neighbouring houses.
The fire broke out at about 9.45pm and was only discovered when the house's lights went out and one of the occupants when to the loft to check the electrics.
Watch manager Giles Parker, of Folkestone Fire Station, said: "A fuse had tripped, the occupant went to the loft and as soon as he opened the hatch he saw the whole loft on fire.
"That was the first time the family there knew about the fire."
Two fire engines from Folkestone were called out along with one from Dover and crews wearing breathing apparatus tackled the flames.
The fire spread downwards into the first floor, reaching the landing and bathroom but did not break upwards through the roof.
Mr Parker said; "Thankfully there were thick concrete tiles to prevent that happening and we we able stop the fire spreading any further than it did."
The loft was totally destroyed and as the house was mid-terrace, smoke and heat had reached the loftspace of the two neighbouring homes.
The occupants, a family of four with young adult children, got out safely.
Crews were at the scene for two hours and Kent Fire and Rescue Service now believes that the blaze was caused by overloaded electrics.
Mr Parker said: "Especially with Christmas coming up more lights will be used so we warn people to check all their electrics and not overload sockets."