A kitten and a dog died when fire engulfed a house in Kent.
Firefighters tried unsuccessfully to resuscitate the pets after they were found upstairs in the semi-detached property in Swale Avenue, Rushenden, near Queenborough.
A cat found in an understairs cupboard was safely rescued after the blaze broke out at around 7.30pm Wednesday.
Tony Fox, watch manager at Sheppey fire station, said: "It was a well-developed fire when we arrived and it took an hour to bring it under control.
"Four firefighters using breathing equipment were needed to deal with the blaze and in attendance were two pumps from here and one from Eastchurch."
A teenager managed to safely escape and there was nobody else in the house at the time.
• For more news from Sheppey visit timesguardian.co.uk >>>