Home   Kent   News   Article

Gillingham heavyweight Tom Dallas chalked up another knock-out win on a great night for Kent boxing

Tom Dallas v Gabor Farkas at Medway Park
Tom Dallas v Gabor Farkas at Medway Park

Tom Dallas lands a blow on Gabor Farkas Picture: Peter Still

by Luke Cawdell

Tom Dallas powered his way to a 14th straight heavyweight victory on Friday night to cap a great night for Kent boxing at Medway Park.

The Chatham heavyweight knocked out Hungarian opponent Gabor Farkas in the third round in front of a thousand-plus crowd at the Gillingham leisure centre.

Dallas topped the bill at the Battle of Medway show and his knock down made it six wins from six for the Kent boxers.

First up, Ramsgate's Vinny Woolford stopped Gavin Putney after two rounds to get the evening off to a flying start for Kent's boxers.

Woolford started slowly but soon warmed to the task by the end of the first round. An early shot kept him on top in the second before a right to the body put Putney down for an eight count.

A quick left-right combination put Putney down again before the end of the round and he failed to come out for the third as a rib injury proved too much for him.

Gavin Tait was backed by a vocal Sheerness support for his rematch with Bulgarian Danny Dontchev.

Tait was awarded the victory in the welterweight bout after a cut to his eye from an accidental clash of heads meant the fight was stopped in the fourth round. He ended the evening with 12 stitches to three different wounds, all caused by a clash of heads with the tricky Bulgarian opponent.

Minster's Dan Woodgate proved too powerful for Elvis Dube (Derby). Winning their four-round contest 40-36, Woodgate dominated the end of the first round and landed some good shots with his right hand.

Body shots were the order of the day in the second for Woodgate, who had to be on his guard against Dube.

Woodgate landed a good left to the head in the third and then powered on to victory in the fourth, increasing his work-rate with some good combinations that proved too much for Dube.

Scott Woolford followed up his older brother’s earlier victory with a win of his own in the light middleweight bout against Jay Morris (Newport).

He won the six round contest on points with referee Ritchie Davies awarding the fight to him 59-56 on the scorecard.

Both referees on the night were from the Medway area, making it a real local event. Ian John-Lewis from Strood and Davies from Allhallows kept a close eye on the eight contests.

John-Lewis was needed to decide the next fight, between Erith’s Lewis Pettitt and Pavels Senkovs. Once again it was a Kent win.

Petitt from Erith won 40-36 on points against Mansfield's Pavel Senkovs.

Showing plenty of promise in only his fourth bout, the 20-year-old super bantamweight was too good for Senkovs, who has now lost his last 22 fights.

The non-Kent fights saw Nick Jenman knock his opponent Rick Boulter down in the second round but the fight went the distance. Jenman won the match on points.

Ross Payne also claimed a points victory from his light-middleweight bout against Bheki Moyo.

Dallas was last into the ring and he didn’t disappoint, with another brutal display, proving too powerful for his Hungarian opponent.

The local hero came out fast, hitting good combinations in the first round, and hurting Farkas in the second with some timely body shots.

Farkas eventually crumbled in the third with several head shots sending the Hungarian to the canvas.

Next up for the new home of Kent boxing at Medway Park could be the British light-middlweight match between Chislehurst champion Sam Webb and challenger Prince Arron.

Dallas, Scott Woolford and Swanley's Martin Welsh are all planning on returning for that show, promoted by Frank Maloney, on May 13.

Close This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies.Learn More