Home   Kent   News   Article

Gillingham 3 Stevenage 2

John Mousinho celebrates his 76th-minute winner. Picture: Barry Goodwin
John Mousinho celebrates his 76th-minute winner. Picture: Barry Goodwin

Gillingham came from behind to beat Stevenage on Tuesday night with a winner from John Mousinho.

Stevenage took a first half lead when Simon Heslop fired home from 20 yards, making Gills pay for missed chances, which included a stunning miss by Adam Barrett.

Danny Kedwell levelled the scores from the penalty spot and new loan signing Donervon Daniels netted moments later to turn the match on its head.

Francois Zoko headed Stevenage back level on the hour but Mousinho put the Gills back in charge of the League 1 clash.

The goal from the loan midfielder, from Preston, was enough for Gills to bag maximum points, their sixth league win of the season.

Gills boss Peter Taylor made changes to the team that struggled against Oldham at the weekend.

In came new defensive signing Daniels, alongside Barrett in central defence, while Michael Harriman returned to the right-back role.

Danny Kedwell, playing as the lone striker, saw an early shot saved by keeper Chris Day and moments the Gills should have gone ahead.

Myles Weston’s deep cross was headed back into the path of Barrett, waiting alone infront of an unguarded net, but he somehow put the ball over the bar from just a yard out.

Gillingham – playing infront of their lowest league crowd of the season - had several good spells in the first half but Stevenage were always a threat, particularly from former Priestfield youngster Luke Freeman.

With Gillingham failing to take their chances, the inevitable happened. Heslop tried his luck and his shot crept in past Stuart Nelson.

The second half was just a minute old when Gillingham were given the chance to level. John Mousinho was fouled in the box by Jon Ashton, as he turned the Stevenage centre-back.

Danny Kedwell stepped up to slam home the spot-kick in front of the Rainham End. It was his fifth goal from five penalty attempts this season and 10 in total.

It got even better for the Gills should three minutes later, as Craig Fagan’s looping ball into the box was planted home, with great technique, by the new loan signing Daniels.

Stevenage levelled the match with an hour gone as Filipe Morais headed towards goal and Zoko’s glancing touch was enough to deceive Nelson. That goal came just after Weston had put a good chance into the arms of visiting keeper Day.

With 77 minutes gone the Gills restored their lead. A trip on Weston led to a free-kick which was swung into the box by Danny Hollands and converted with his head by Mousinho.

Kedwell thumped an effort narrowly wide with nine minutes left, while at the other end Stevenage gave the Gills a few nervy moments, but Taylor’s men hung on.

Gillingham: Nelson, Martin, Hewitt, Daniels, Barrett, Harriman, Mousinho, Hollands, Weston, Fagan (McDonald 78mins), Kedwell. Subs not used: Davies, Whelpdale, Akinfenwa, Dack, Howard, Hessenthaler.

Stevenage: Day, Ashton, Jones, Morais (Burrow 81mins), Atkins, Zoko, Heslop, Freeman, Gray (Andrade 80mins), Doughty, Hartley. Subs not used: Arnold, Wedgbury, Tansey, Tounkara, Deacon.

Attendance: 4,951

Close This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies.Learn More