Published: 00:00, 21 August 2006
| Updated: 11:34, 21 August 2006
A YOUNG husband whose life spiralled out of control after suffering a mystery fit died from cocaine poisoning, an inquest heard.
Matthew Honeysett, 25, was a happily-married carpet fitter until he was struck by a mysterious fit in the summer of 2005.
Medical examinations failed to pinpoint the causes and Mr Honeysett, of Beechings Way, Gillingham, became depressed and started using cocaine.
He lost his driving licence and was transferred to his company’s sales department.
In a statement, his wife Louise told the inquest at Gillingham that her husband was determined to kick his cocaine habit and handed over all his credit and debit cards, after £3,000 was spent from his accounts prior to his death.
Mrs Honeysett added: “Two weeks prior to his death he admitted that he still had a problem with cocaine and on the day of his death he had not been well.”
Shortly before his death, Mr Honeysett was picking his wife up from Chatham Station, on Tuesday, April 18, when he rapidly became ill and Mrs Honeysett decided to drive.
The inquest heard how Mr Honeysett was complaining of feeling unwell and started to shake and cry for help. He died later the same day in hospital from cocaine poisoning.
Pathologist David Rouse said: “If people have a tendency to fit, the levels of cocaine found in Mr Honeysett could induce a terminal fit.”
Coroner Roger Sykes said: “He died as the result of misuse of drugs.”