Home   Kent   News   Article

Man treated for burns after setting fire to bonfire in Tonbridge

Kent Fire and Rescue Service logo
Kent Fire and Rescue Service logo

A man was treated for burns to his face after a bonfire exploded when he poured petrol on it.

The man was treated by paramedics for burns to his legs, arms and face after they were called to his garden in Chalk Lane, Cranbrook yesterday.

It's believed he had poured petrol from a watering can onto the fire in a bid to burn garden waste.

Now firefighters are urging gardeners to take extra care with petrol around bonfires.

Watch manager Colin Gambrell said: "Unfortunately this man underestimated the devastating consequences of putting petrol onto a fire.

"Our advice to never use any type of accelerant on a fire or barbecue as this can result in serious injury."

Crews put out the fire and helped ambulance crews.

The man was taken by ambulance to the Kent and Sussex Hospital and has since been transferred to East Grinstead.

The man’s injuries are not said to be life-threatening, after a SECAmb ambulance operator talked him through what to do.

Tips for safer bonfires:

  • Build your bonfire well clear of buildings, garden sheds, fences and hedges
  • Never use flammable liquids such as petrol to start a bonfire and never burn dangerous items such as aerosol cans, paint tins, foam furniture or batteries
  • Don’t leave bonfires unattended. An adult should supervise it until it has burnt out. If it has to be left, damp it down with plenty of water
  • Always keep a bucket of water or a hosepipe nearby in case of fire spread.

Local fire crews will be in the area handing out summer safety advice following this incident.

Close This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies.Learn More