Published: 17:43, 20 August 2020
| Updated: 22:02, 20 August 2020
The migrant who was found dead on a French beach after trying to cross the Channel has been named.
He was initially reported as being aged 16 but reports today suggest he was 28 and from Sudan.
An investigation into his death has now opened and Philippe Sabatier, Boulogne-sur-Mer's deputy public prosecutor, said a travel document being carried by Mr Hamdallah revealed his true age.
It is thought his friend, who survived when their small boat capsized, told rescuers he was 16.
Mr Sabatier told The Independent the pair had been living in the Calais 'Jungle' camp for two months before attempting the crossing.
He told the paper: "I don’t know if he had applied for asylum with British authorities, but he appears to have done so with the French authorities.
It is understood Mr Hamdallah and his friend had taken an inflatable boat from a chalet in Sangatte along with shovels to use as oars.
After it overturned, his friend managed to reach shore, suffering from hypothermia, and alerted authorities that his friend was still in the water.
A search was carried out for the missing man - who could not swim - and his body was found at 8am on Wednesday.
Priti Patel, Home Secretary, tweeted about the incident: "This is an upsetting and tragic loss of a young life.
"This horrendous incident serves as a brutal reminder of the abhorrent criminal gangs and people smugglers who exploit vulnerable people.
"Working together we are determined to stop them."
The death came weeks after it was revealed the Home Secretary is considering calling in the British Navy to deal with the ongoing migrant crisis .
This year alone thousands of people have attempted to make the journey from France to the UK.