A teenager who was struck down by a devastating infection when only a few days old will receive £3.5 million in NHS compensation.
Dartford and Gravesham NHS Trust denied blame for the 15-year-old’s life-long disabilities.
But it has now agreed to a final settlement of her case at London’s High Court, guaranteeing her the care she needs for life.
The girl’s barrister, Elizabeth-Anne Gumbel QC, said she and her mother had been discharged from hospital a few days after the birth in 2002.
But the baby fell gravely ill once at home and her mother claimed to have telephoned the hospital “a couple of times” during the night.
The mother said she had been advised to give her baby water, but the QC said there was “no record” of the phone calls.
By the time a midwife arrived at the family home the following day, the little girl was dangerously sick.
She was rushed to hospital where the Group B Streptococcus infection was diagnosed. But Miss Gumbel claimed there had been a negligent delay in giving her antibiotics.
John Whitting QC, for the NHS trust, emphasised that there had been no admission of liability for the girl’s injuries. But he added: “It is right to recognise this girl’s very severe disabilities and the very considerable care provided to her by her family.
“It is right to recognise this girl’s very severe disabilities and the very considerable care provided to her by her family" - John Whitting
“The trust extends its very best wishes to her and her family for the future”. Mrs Justice Lambert said the issues in the case were far from clear-cut, but that the £3.5 million settlement would “provide certainty” to the family. The judge had “no difficulty whatsoever” in approving the settlement.
Trust spokesman Glyn Oakley said: “Dartford and Gravesham NHS Trust confirms the settlement of a case arising out of care provided in 2002 was approved by the High Court on Tuesday, April 24.
"No admissions of liability were made by the trust.”