Home   Kent   News   Article

Ryman League Premier Division round-up

Andy Walker
Andy Walker

Maidstone United caretaker boss Jay Saunders was unable to inspire an upturn in fortunes as they went down 2-0 at home to Billericay in Ryman League Premier Division on Saturday.

Maidstone keeper Andy Walker (pictured) ensured it remained goalless at the break with a penalty save from Cedric Ngakam in first-half stoppage time, but former Stone Tony Boot opened the scoring against the run of play with just six minutes remaining with United pressing forward in search of their first home league win of the season.

A killer second arrived on the break in stoppage time when Boot squared to Charlie Allen to double the visitors advantage.

Rock-bottom Stones are now 12 points from safety after their sixth-straight defeat - the last five without scoring - and 11th loss in their last 12 league games overall.

Folkestone Invicta are two places above Maidstone but just six points adrift of safety with a game in hand following a battling 1-1 draw at Wealdstone.

Simon Austin was the hero for Invicta with an equaliser seven minutes from time after the hosts took the lead in the first half.

Wealdstone were reduced to 10 men after a player was sent-off for two quickfire bookings in the aftermath of the goal but Invicta were unable to snatch the points in the dying minutes.

Margate began life without manager Iain O'Connell with a rollercoaster 3-2 win at Hendon.

Gate took the lead on eight minutes through skipper Craig Cloke and Tom Bradbrook doubled the advantage eight minutes later before the hosts were reduced to 10 midway through the first half when Danny Dyer saw red for a lunge on Wayne Wilson.

Belal Aite-Ouakrim pulled one back for the hosts seven minutes after the break and five minutes later Tommy Osbourne saw red for a handball in the box, which levelled the numbers before Jamie Busby levelled the scores with a low spot-kick.

However Gate restored their lead on 64 minutes when Shaun Welford was felled by Berkley Laurencin and Wilson drilled home the resultant penalty for a 3-2 lead.

James Pinnock handed Busby the chance to snatch another equaliser on 72 minutes, conceding a second penalty, however Jamie Turner tipped Busby's attempt wide.

Jamie Rogers received a second booking with 15 minutes to go as Gate went down to nine men, and Busby struck the post as Hendon sought a third goal, however the visitors held on for victory.

Tonbridge Angels' promotion-push was halted by a 1-0 defeat at play-off chasing Canvey Island.

The only goal arrived mid-way through the first half as the Islanders moved sixth, within two points of the Angels and have a game in hand.

Third-placed Angels are now 12 points behind the leaders, though they have a game in hand remaining.

Cray Wanderers' push for a play-off spot was hit by a 1-1 draw against struggling Horsham.

Joe Vines put them on their way after just four minutes but the sixth-bottom visitors snatched a point with a penalty with six minutes remaining.

The draw saw Wands slip to 10th, four points off the pace for a top-five place.

Close This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies.Learn More