Home   Kent   News   Article

Smoke alarm saves mum and child from blaze

Fire Engine Stock
Fire Engine Stock

A toddler and his mum had a lucky escape after a fire broke out in their home in Gillingham.

The pair were able to get out of their house before the fire took hold because a they heard the smoke alarm go off which had been fitted two months previously by firefighters.

The fire broke out in the bedroom of the two-year-old as the child was sleeping but his mum, a 27-year-old, was able to get herself and the tot out before the fire took hold.

Firefighters were called to home in Haig Avenue,Gillingham, at about 2.45pm on Wednesday, after the woman dialled 999.

Crews wearing breathing apparatus tackled the flames and the bedroom was severely damaged by the fire, and part of the first floor was also slightly damaged.

The fire is thought to have started after a recently-used lighter, believed to have been faulty, was left on bedding and it began smouldering.

The woman was treated for a slight burn to her hand and the child was also checked for smoke inhalation but was unharmed.

Grant Brooker, Kent Fire and Rescue Service North Kent station manager, said: “This incident highlights the importance of fitting and maintaining a working smoke alarm on every floor of your home.

“Without the alarm sounding it is likely the fire would have remained undetected for longer and endangered the life of those in the property.

“After being alerted to the fire and removing her son from the bedroom, the resident then closed the door behind her which restricted the fire to the room of origin, therefore limiting damage to the rest of the house.

“The smoke alarm in this home was fitted by Kent Fire and Rescue Service less then two months ago and it is heartening to know that, thanks to this activity, we helped prevent the potentially devastating consequences of this unfortunate accident.”

The service offers free safety advice, call 0800 923 7000 or go to http://www.3breaths.info/for more information.

Close This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies.Learn More