Home   Kent   News   Article

Stray firework sparked house blaze

A stray firework is thought to be the cause of a house blaze on New Year’s Eve.

Firefighters were called to the property in Wilson Avenue, Rochester, at around 2.50pm on Wednesday.

Crews from Strood and Medway fire stations had to break down the front door to gain access to the house.

Firefighters wearing breathing apparatus were sent inside to search for the occupants but no-one was found.

A spokesman for Kent Fire and Rescue said: “The fire had started at the back of the house we believe it was caused by a firework.

“There was a lot of damage to the conservatory, which was used as a dining area.

“The conservatory was made of PVC which causes a lot of black, acrid smoke and fumes when it burns.

"This had spread to the rest of the house, on both floors, and caused extensive damage.

“This incident shows how a simple thing such as closing doors in your home can prevent damage to your property if a fire occurs.”

“A witness reported seeing children playing with fireworks near the property.”

Kent Police said it did not believe the fire was started deliberately and officers were not investigating the incident.

Close This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies.Learn More