Home   Kent   News   Article

Data reveals new coronavirus cases in Kent and Medway are below 'at risk' level amid Leicester's localised lockdown

New coronavirus cases in Kent and Medway are far below the 'at risk' level, new data shows.

Despite Medway's cases increasing week-on-week, sparking debunked rumours it may be heading towards a localised lockdown like Leicester, there were just 6.1 new infections per 100,000 people in the week ending June 21.

New coronavirus cases in Kent and Medway are far below the 'at risk' level, new data shows. Stock image
New coronavirus cases in Kent and Medway are far below the 'at risk' level, new data shows. Stock image

Kent's rate was more than double at 13.5 but that was still far below the level deemed of most concern - anything over 30.

It comes as Leicester has been placed back in lockdown due to a spike in cases, after the city saw 10% of all positive cases in England over the past week.

There have been 140.2 new infections in the city per 100,000 - with Bradford (69.4), Barnsley (54.7), Rochdale (53.6) and Bedford (42.0) in the top five.

A health boss in Medway spoke out this week against rumours the area could see a spike in cases, after the authority was included on a table in the national press showing areas where coronavirus has increased in the past two weeks.

James Williams, Medway's director of public health, said the small increase in Medway shares no similarities to the East Midlands city.

In a statement published on Tuesday, he said: "There is no comparison to be made between the rates of new cases currently occurring in Medway and areas such as Leicester.

KMTV reports on the prospect of local lockdowns

"A local lockdown has been introduced in Leicester because 10% of all positive cases in the country over the past week were recorded in the city.

"The number of positive coronavirus cases in Leicester is three times higher than the next highest city and Medway is much lower than this."

Mr Williams said there were no plans to introduce a regional lockdown in Medway, but that if the need did arise then they would "not hesitate" to take further steps if it was deemed necessary.

The public health director also announced a Kent and Medway Local Outbreak control plan, which sets out the actions the authorities would take in the event of a surge in cases.

It comes as pubs and restaurants prepare to reopen this weekend and just days after thousands flocked to the county's coastline.

But throughout, the public have been warned to maintain social distancing rules and that if the infection rate begins to exceed 1 lockdown measures will be put back in place.

Yesterday, we revealed how east Kent hospitals trust reported the most deaths in the country last week, recording one in every nine fatalities.

Meanwhile, the only parts of Kent where infections rose over three weeks were Medway and Thanet, from six to 17 and three to 14 a week respectively.

Read more: All the latest news from Medway

Read more: All the latest news from Kent


More by this author


This website and its associated newspaper are members of the Independent Press Standards Organisation (IPSO)

Close This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies.Learn More