Home   Kent   Sport   Article

Peter Taylor was disappointed with several of his Gillingham players' performances but relieved to see them keep going to the end

Gills interim boss Peter Taylor Picture: Barry Goodwin
Gills interim boss Peter Taylor Picture: Barry Goodwin

Gills interim boss Peter Taylor admitted his team were second best on Saturday.

Bradley Dack scored a stoppage-time equaliser to level the scores against non-league opponents Brackley.

Taylor, who will find out this week if he is to be appointed as manager permanently, said: “Fair play to Brackley. They play with a lot of confidence and it is obvious they are having a good season and they started really well.

“From the first minute of the game they showed what they are capable of and maybe that made us a bit more nervous than we certainly should have been.

“They played better than us and thankfully, the pleasing thing for us, is that we kept going.

“It wasn’t our day, things weren’t looking good, we were looking nervous, they were looking confident but we got a 1-1 draw out of it and that’s very good news for us.”

Dack’s injury-time goal came in the sixth minute of time added-on.

“I told them afterwards I was not happy with a lot of their performances but I was happy with their desire to keep going.

“(Bradley Dack) is capable and he makes some terrific runs. He has great energy and good pace. They tell me he needs to do a little bit better on his finishing but I am very happy he got that goal.”

Gillingham will now be in the hat with Brackley for the second round draw, which takes place live on ITV at 4.10pm. The replay takes place a week on Tuesday in Northamptonshire.

“The players will now be more aware of them,” said Taylor.

“They were guessing before and now they know the strength of them and that they are very good experienced players they are up against. It is a tough match but I am delighted to be in the hat and fair play to the players.”

Brackley boss Jon Brady said: “I am disappointed and believe we should have won the tie and seen it out.

“The referee made a very controversial decision when Nat Jarvis was through and it was a foul on the edge of the box. Everyone in the stadium knew it was and had the referee given it then it was a red card.

“It wasn’t to be, it finished 1-1, and in the end we feel like it is a loss for us but we have to do our best to take the game to them again next Tuesday.”

Close This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies.Learn More