Home   Kent   Sport   Article

Gills three-game run smashed at Bury

Andy Bishop sets Bury on their way with the opening goal early on. Picture: Matthew Reading
Andy Bishop sets Bury on their way with the opening goal early on. Picture: Matthew Reading

Bury 4 Gillingham 0

Gillingham’s three-game winning streak came to an abrupt end on Saturday at Bury.

The Gills, who hadn’t conceded a goal in their last three outings, were behind after just nine minutes and they had it all to do in the second half after conceding again before the break.

Hopes of a fight-back ended just before the hour as Bury scored their third.

~ More pictures from Gigg Lane >>>

Gillingham had already conceded a fourth by the time by the time they were awarded a 73rd minute penalty – which was saved by keeper Wayne Brown from Adam Miller.

The game had barely begun when David Buchanan’s cross from the left fell kindly for Andy Bishop and he netted from close range.

The closest Gillingham came to scoring was when Garry Richards headed John Nutter’s corner kick at goal but keeper Wayne Brown was equal to it.

Bury doubled the lead after 39 minutes when Brian Barry-Murphy’s corner kick was bundled home by Glynn Hurst.

Gillingham conceded goal number three on 59 minutes when Bury broke on the counter-attack and Bishop slotted home Hurst’s cross.

Hurst grabbed his second of the match four minutes later as he headed home Bishop’s cross.

Home keeper Brown was lucky to escape with a caution, after tripping Mark McCammon in the box, and he saved the subsequent spot-kick from Miller.

Gillingham manager Mark Stimson said: “The scoreline was very disappointing.

“There wasn’t much difference between the two sides but in certain areas we didn’t perform as well as we did two weeks ago here and we knew we had to, because they do test you and put the ball in the danger zone, and we knew if we weren’t on our guard there were opportunities they would take.

“To go into the break 2-0 was disappointing because I didn’t think we deserved that and then to concede two in the second half and to miss a penalty, it’s been a bad trip.”

More reaction from Gigg Lane in Monday's Medway Messenger.

Gills: Royce, Fuller, Nutter, King, Richards, Bentley, Weston (Cumbers 84mins), Jarrett, Southall (Jackson 59mins), Miller, Mulligan (McCammon 68mins). Subs not used: Julian, Mills.

Bury: Brown, Scott, Buchanan, Futcher, Dawson, Hurst (Racchi 78mins), Bishop, Barry-Murphy (Baker 84mins), Jones, Sodje, Bennett. Subs not used: Haslam, Cresswell, Morrell.

Attendance: 2,068.

Close This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies.Learn More