Home   Kent   Sport   Article

Gillingham 1 Carlisle United 0

Danny Kedwell beats Carlisle keeper Mark Gillespie from the spot. Picture: Barry Goodwin
Danny Kedwell beats Carlisle keeper Mark Gillespie from the spot. Picture: Barry Goodwin

Danny Kedwell was the Gillingham hero once more after scoring the winner at Priestfield.

Gillingham failed to register a shot on target in the first half but took the lead in the second half when Kedwell converted from the penalty spot – and that goal was enough to take all three points.

Both teams had a man sent off in the final 10 minutes, as visiting striker Lee Miller was shown a straight red and Gills defender Leon Legge was ordered off for a second bookable offence.

Peter Taylor stuck with the same team which had pushed Port Vale close the week before.

For Taylor, it was make or break time after chairman Paul Scally set a mid-November deadline for deciding on the permanent successor to Martin Allen.

Interviews with the other hopefuls have already started back in Dubai and will continue this week in England. Taylor was putting his marker down infront of almost 6,000 fans at Priestfield.

Prior to Saturday, Taylor had led the Gills to one win and two defeats, while at the same time trying to change the footballing style.

There was little in the way of goalmouth action for the home side in the opening 45 minutes. Shots from Charlie Lee and Myles Weston, either end of the half, both missed the target.

Carlisle weren’t much better but Matt Robson did at least hit the target. His first effort midway through the half was weak and low and didn’t trouble Gills keeper Stuart Nelson.

But his second shot, in first half stoppage time, led to penalty appeals from the visitors after Michael Harriman slid in to block the shot. There were claims of handball but referee Charles Breakspear waved away the protests.

Taylor made changes at the break with both Cody McDonald and Steven Gregory coming on, to replace Weston and Charlie Lee.

With just over an hour gone and the Gills finally beginning the boss the game, they were awarded a penalty. Visiting defender Danny Livesey tripped Danny Hollands and Breakspear pointed to the spot.

Kedwell made no mistake from 12 yards, scoring his fourth penalty of the season and making it four goals in Gillingham’s last four games, taking his tally for the campaign to eight.

Nelson had to get down low to save a David Amoo shot five minutes later but the visitors offered little else of note and had to play the final 10 minutes a man short, after striker Lee Miller was shown a straight red card following a tangle with Adam Barrett.

Three minutes later and Gills were also reduced to ten men when Legge was sent-off for a second booking, both for fouls. His initial caution had come midway through the opening half. Kedwell filled in at centre-back and needed to be alert to clear off the line with a sliding block two minutes from time.

Chris Whelpdale almost scored a late second but keeper Mark Gillespie came out to rob the ball off his feet.

Gillingham: Nelson, Harriman, Martin, Legge, Barrett, Lee (Gregory 46mins), Hollands, Linganzi (Dack 34mins), Whelpdale, Weston (McDonald 46mins), Kedwell. Subs: Howard, Davies, Akinfenwa, German.

Carlisle: Gillespie, Robson, Chantler (Guy 76mins), Chimbonda, Livesey (Berrett 71mins), Buaben, Amoo, Noble (Symingon 58mins), Miller, Thirlwell, O’Hanlon. Subs: Potts, Beck, Fleming, Eccleston.

Attendance: 5,697

Close This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies.Learn More