Home   Kent   Sport   Article

Goalscoring defender Joe Martin was one of several players Gillingham boss Peter Taylor felt had a slow start against Yeovil Town

Gillingham manager Peter Taylor Picture: Barry Goodwin
Gillingham manager Peter Taylor Picture: Barry Goodwin

Peter Taylor was pleased to be boasting a win after a less than impressive start.

The Gills boss saw his team grow into the League 1 match against Yeovil Town and finish with three points in the bag.

He said: “I was pleased because Yeovil started a bit direct and very positive. I felt we didn’t have a good start.

“All of a sudden they get a penalty but thankfully we saved it. The longer the game went on we got better and stronger.

“Those that didn’t do so well first half came in at half time and they held their hands up, knowing they didn’t do so well. I thought second half they did well.

“It wasn’t the best of starts and I had to remind them that was our problem last year. Too many times we didn’t start as well as we should do here. We have to get that out of our system.”

One of those who didn’t impress early on was Joe Martin but a stunning free-kick, to put the Gills ahead, helped make amends.

“There were people like Leon Legge, Kortney Hause, Joe Martin, who all held their hands up and said they had a poor first half. They were determined to put it right and all of them did.

“The goal helped Joe but as for their penalty, we should have dealt with the first ball easily and then not brought the fella down.”

Before Martin's goal, Legge committed the foul which handed Yeovil a penalty, but that was saved by newly signed keeper Stephen Bywater.

“I think it was definitely a penalty for Yeovil,” said Taylor.

“It was a long ball from their goalkeeper and we didn’t handle it.

“I am sure their centre forward was not happy with his penalty, it wasn’t great. It was very saveable but Stephen went the right way and that was the most important thing.

“Joe was one of the players I thought was having a bit of a mare and then all of a sudden he recovers it by getting that goal. I was pleased with the quality of the free-kick and goals give you confidence and it knocks the opposition a touch.”

Danny Kedwell scored the second to make it 2-0. His initial penalty was saved but the Gills striker was on hand to tuck home the rebound.

Taylor said: “I was looking at everyone on the edge of the box and saying, ‘who is going to follow in?’ That would be my first thought if I was a player. I wasn’t convinced there were many but thankfully Danny did.”

Close This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies.Learn More