Home   Kent   Sport   Article

Barnsley 4 Gillingham 1 match report

Gillingham defender John Egan in action during the 4-1 defeat at Oakwell this season Picture: Barry Goodwin
Gillingham defender John Egan in action during the 4-1 defeat at Oakwell this season Picture: Barry Goodwin

Gillingham conceded four goals on the road again in a heavy defeat at Barnsley on Saturday afternoon.

Two down at the break, Gills shipped a third before Danny Kedwell replied.

But the Tykes quickly added a fourth and threatened further goals on a day to forget for Peter Taylor's men.

Gills abandoned their back three to start with a 4-3-3 formation at Oakwell, with Brennan Dickenson and Jermaine McGlashan either side of main striker Kedwell.

The first chance of the match fell Barnsley's way in the 14th minute when Joe Dudgeon's left-wing cross was headed wide at the far post by Luke Berry.

Danny Wilson's men went in front on 22 minutes with Conor Hourihane given space to find the top corner from 25 yards.

A nice move launched in Gills' half saw Jake Hesenthaler and Bradley Dack combine to play in Jermaine McGlashan whose near-post strike was comfortably held by Adam Davies.

That move showed promise but Barnsley went straight down the other end and doubled their lead through Sam Winnall, who headed home a cross in the 29th minute.

In a poor first half, the best move probably came from Gillingham with neat one-touch football on the edge from Dack, Kedwell and Brennan Dickenson setting up McGlashan who could only fire wide.

Barnsley made the better start to the second half with Winnall denied by Stephen Bywater and heading over a corner when he could have done better.

Gills waited 15 minutes before introducing fit-again Cody McDonald and Josh Pritchard in place of Aaron Morris and Brennan Dickenson in a switch to 4-4-2.

The Tykes continued to have the best of things and scored again on 68 minutes when on-loan Devante Cole, son of Andy, volleyed home Dudgeon's cross.

A foul in the box on McGlashan gave Gills hope on 73 minutes. Kedwell's spot-kick was saved but he followed in to finish the rebound.

But Gillingham conceded again just three minutes later, Dale Jennings on target after a free-kick hit the wall and fell kindly.

Bywater saved well from Hourihane 20-yard curler, then Kane Hemmings hit the post as Barnsley threatened to run riot.

Gillingham: Bywater, Hoyte, Hause, Legge, Egan, A Morris (McDonald 61mins, Hessenthaler, Dack, Kedwell, McGlashan (Norris 79mins), Dickenson (Pritchard 61mins). Subs not used: Fish, German, Davies, G Morris.

Attendance: 9,163 (288 Gills)

Close This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies.Learn More