Home   Kent   Sport   Article

Late strike sinks Addicks

Charlton's Zheng Zhi is beaten in the air by Joseph Yobo. Picture: MATT WALKER
Charlton's Zheng Zhi is beaten in the air by Joseph Yobo. Picture: MATT WALKER

Everton 2 Charlton Athletic 1

CHARLTON endured heartbreak as Everton substitute James McFadden cracked a stoppage-time winner just seconds after Darren Bent had levelled in a pulsating finale at Goodison Park on Sunday.

Charlton were trailing to Joleon Lescott's 81st-minute goal when Bent produced a cool finish to draw them level in the 89th minute.

Having produced another performance of outstanding defensive resilience, Charlton looked good enough to take something from the game until McFadden drove the ball home after flicking it over substitute Madjid Bougherra's head.

The distraught Charlton players collapsed on the ground in anguish as a priceless point was snatched from their grasp, and their five-match unbeaten run was ended with virtually the last kick of the match.

Charlton were forced to make three changes from the side that started in Easter Monday's goalless draw against Reading.

Striker Marcus Bent missed a reunion against his former club through a hamstring strain, while Hermann Hreidarsson was unavailable because of a thigh injury.

The big surprise was the absence of midfielder Jerome Thomas who failed a late fitness test on a knee injury. He was replaced by Bryan Hughes, who made a rare start.

The game quickly came to life in the stifling heat of Goodison as Charlton midfielder Zheng Zhi burst through in the first minute. But instead of going for goal he opted to square the ball to Bent and Everton were able to clear.

Two minutes later, England striker Andy Johnson pounced on a mistake by Souleymane Diawara but fellow central defender Talal El Karkouri made a saving tackle.

Charlton were again forced to summon all their defensive resilience as Everton asked all the early questions.

Everton should have taken a 26th-minute lead when Mikel Arteta's cross picked out James Beattie but the striker headed straight at goalkeeper Scott Carson.

Charlton missed their best opportunity to take the lead in the 56th minute when Zheng played in Bent but his shot bobbled wide with goalkeeper Tim Howard grounded.

Charlton: Carson, Young, Diawara, El Karkouri, Thatcher (Bougherra 83), Ambrose, Faye (Holland 55), Song, Hughes (Hasselbaink 83), Zheng, D Bent.
Subs Not Used: Randolph, Rommedahl.
Attendance: 34,028.

* Keep up to date with all the news from The Valley every week in the Bexley Extra.

Close This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies.Learn More