Home   Kent   Sport   Article

Saturday's Ryman League Premier Division, Division 1 South and Division 1 North round-up

There was a shock defeat for Ryman League Premier Division leaders Margate on Saturday as they went down 2-0 at Hampton & Richmond Borough.

Terry Brown’s team could not take advantage of a defeat for second-placed Maidstone Unitedwho went down 2-0 at Met Police just 41 hours after the dramatic conclusion of their FA Cup First Round clash with Stevenage.

Charlie Moone put Borough ahead before the break and Nick Bignall sealed the points eight minutes from time.

The four teams chasing the top-two all won with third-placed Hendon now just a point behind Maidstone and eight off the top with two games in hand on Gate.

Tonbridge Angels put some daylight between themselves and the relegation zone in the same division with a 3-0 win at struggling VCD Athletic.

Dee Okojie opened the scoring 11 minute in and Alex Teniola made it 2-0 on 25 minute, with the clincher arriving two minutes before full-time from Flavio Tavares.

Angels have a five-point lead over the bottom-four while VCD stay third-bottom.

Cray Wanderers suffered late heartbreak in Division 1 North after being overhauled by AFC Sudbury.

Shaun Welford put Wands ahead on the road after 22 minutes and the lead lasted until 14 minutes from time when Correy Davidson levelled.

Second-bottom Cray were stung by a second goal just four minutes later when Ben Robinson pounced and the visitors could not find an equaliser in the closing stages.

Thamesmead recorded a creditable 2-0 win at Barkingside thanks to goals in the final 26 minutes from Leslie Thompson and Ben Traore while Chatham Town claimed a fine point at Dereham Town.

Michael Clunan had the play-off chasing hosts ahead just after the half-hour but Chats replied through Lawrence Collins after 65 minutes.

Faversham Town extended their lead at the top of Division 1 South after a dramatic finale to Saturday’s action.

Town trailed at Worthing after Harvey Sparks’ opener on 11 minutes but Dean Grant replied just five minutes later and the hosts were reduced to 10 shortly after the break when George Hayward saw red.

The game looked to be heading towards a draw until Jack Harris pounced in the final minute to snatch the winner with his 11th of the season.

The Lilywhites are four points clear of Burgess Hill Town, who themselves needed a late goal to earn a 2-2 draw at home to Hythe Town.

The Cannons were in dreamland as Craig Thompson and Phil Stevenson goals had them 2-0 up on the road after just 19 minutes.

However unbeaten Hill rallied with Greg Luer halving the deficit shortly before the half-hour and just five minutes from time Dan Perry netted to keep the hosts’ unbeaten run alive and leave Hythe 18th.

Ronnie Dolan in action against Three Bridges. Picture: Gary Browne.
Ronnie Dolan in action against Three Bridges. Picture: Gary Browne.

Folkestone Invicta slipped to fourth, behind Merstham, after a shock 2-1 defeat at home to mid-table Three Bridges.

It was goalless until 54 minutes at Cheriton Road but John Lansdale broke the deadlock for the Surrey side, only for Ronnie Dolan (pictured) to equalise with 20 minutes remaining.

However it was the visitors who grabbed the crucial third goal of the game 14 minutes from time through Tony Garrod and Invicta could not find an answer as their five-match home winning streak in the league ended.

Herne Bay are just a point outside the play-off places. in seventh, after a convincing 4-2 win at home to Carshalton.

Liam Quinn put the hosts ahead inside four minutes and Sam Hasler doubled the lead on 15 minutes.

An own-goal and Hasler’s second, moments either side of half-time made the game safe, though former Chatham man Austin Gacheru and Jordan Clarke goals did make for a slightly nervy final 10 minutes for the hosts.

Sittingbourne are a point and a place behind Bay after coming from behind to earn a 1-1 draw at home to Corinthian Casuals.

Jamie Byatt’s penalty on 23 minutes gave the Surrey side the advantage until Hicham Akhazzan struck 17 minutes from time.

Whitstable Town remain 12th but are just a point ahead of Walton & Hersham after a 2-0 defeat at the Surrey side on Saturday.

Two goals in as many minutes right before the break did for the Oystermen, with Tarome Hemmings netting a penalty and Andrew Mensah adding the second.

Ramsgate were on the end of a 4-1 humbling by Whyteleafe at Southwood.

Roscoe D’Sane was their tormentor in chief with a hat-trick, opening the scoring after seven minutes and making it 2-0 10 minutes before the break.

The striker sealed his treble six minutes after the turnaround and Sam Clayton had already made it 4-0 before Aaron Quain netted the consolation for the hosts, who slipped to fourth-bottom, just three points clear of the drop-zone.

Close This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies.Learn More