Home   Kent   Sport   Article

Shrewsbury Town 2 Gillingham 0

Cody McDonald looks to create something at Shrewsbury Picture: Barry Goodwin
Cody McDonald looks to create something at Shrewsbury Picture: Barry Goodwin

Gillingham’s winning run in League 1 was ended by Shrewsbury on Saturday.

The hosts opened the scoring through Joe Jacobson and doubled their advantage late on through Liam McAlinden.

Gillingham’s closest attempt came from Danny Kedwell, as he headed a chance against the woodwork.

There was just one change to Gillingham’s starting XI, as Michael Harriman’s injury meant manager Martin Allen had to shuffle his side around, with Charlie Allen filling in for the injured defender.

On the bench Antonio German was back from his brief exile and he was to make a second half appearance, as the Gills looked for a way back into the match.

Gillingham, with back-to-back wins behind them, were chasing a third straight win, something they last did over a year ago.

But it was Shrewsbury who struck first at Greenhous Meadow, with Jacobson heading home a Paul Parry corner in the 17 minute.

Parry’s deliveries were to cause a number of heart-stopping moments for the 253 Gillingham fans, housed in the stand behind the goal that Shrewsbury attacked first.

Charlie Lee goes in for a challenge on Ryan Woods Picture: Barry Goodwin
Charlie Lee goes in for a challenge on Ryan Woods Picture: Barry Goodwin

Gillingham’s earlier half-chances from Chris Whelpdale and Kedwell came to nothing with keeper Chris Weale untroubled.

Shrewsbury came close to doubling their lead midway through the half, when Tom Bradshaw latched onto a ball over the top and controlling with his chest, he dragged the effort narrowly wide of the far post.

Gillingham were not being out-done and they almost snatched an equaliser from a free-kick. Charlie Lee smashed it through the wall and an unsighted Weale could only make a block. When the ball came back in Kedwell headed an effort against the post.

Shrewsbury were fielding new loan signing Cristian Lopez, from Huddersfield, and he almost scored a debut goal with a low shot that Gills keeper Stuart Nelson did well to get down to, turning it wide at full stretch.

A change at the break saw Myles Weston replace Whelpdale and the Gills put the pressure on their hosts early on. Clear-cut chances remained rare, however. Shrewsbury’s best efforts were also wide of the mark.

A killer second goal arrived with eight minutes left when sub McAlinden got in behind the defence and rolled the ball home beyond Nelson.

Gillingham’s Cody McDonald came close to pulling one back, on the slide, but Adebayo Akinfenwa’s cut-back had too much pace on it.

Gillingham: Nelson, Martin, Lee, Barrett, Davies, Gregory (German 70mins), Hollands, Allen, Whelpdale (Weston 46mins), Kedwell (Akinfenwa 82mins), McDonald. Subs not used: Howard, Linganzi, Legge, Dack.

Shrewsbury: Weale, Woods, Jacobson, Winfield, Mkandawire, McAllister (Goldson 71mins), Wildig, Taylor, Parry (Reach 87mins), Lopez (McAlinden 74mins), Bradshaw. Subs: Anyon, Jones, McQuade, Marsden.

Attendance: 5,129

Close This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies.Learn More