Home   Kent   Sport   Article

Wolverhampton Wanderers 4 Gillingham 0

Leigh Griffiths scores Wolves' fourth goal from the penalty spot. Picture: Barry Goodwin
Leigh Griffiths scores Wolves' fourth goal from the penalty spot. Picture: Barry Goodwin

Gillingham had an afternoon to forget at Wolves on Saturday.

The Gills were three down by the break, with goals from Leigh Griffiths, Lee Evans and Bakary Sako.

It could have been even worse had it not been for several saves from Gills keeper Stuart Nelson.

Griffiths extended the lead from the penalty spot in the second half.

The defeat was by far the worst since Martin Allen took charge of the club.

Gills boss Allen made five changes to the team from the one which lost in midweek to Bristol City.

Cody McDonald and Danny Kedwell returned to lead the Gills attack, while Charlie Lee, Myles Weston and Amine Linganzi returned to the midfield.

The hosts named Irish international striker Kevin Doyle in their starting XI, for the first time this season, to partner the 2012/13 Scottish player-of-the-year Griffiths upfront.

Both teams were looking for their first goal and first win of the season.

Gills started brightly but just five minutes in they conceded. Samuel Ricketts picked out Griffiths and the striker was allowed time on the edge of the box to turn and shoot past Nelson.

The Gills did show signs that they could penetrate the Wolves defence on several occasions but it was mainly one-way traffic in the opening half.

Nelson tipped over a powerful effort from Danny Batth and held another low effort, from Griffiths.

With 25 minutes gone, the hosts doubled the lead. A good move involving Doyle, Sako and Griffiths ended with Evans converting as Gills’ defence were unable to clear.

Six minute later and Wolves had their third when a cross from Zeli Ismail found Sako unmarked and he applied the finish.

Sako wasted a couple of other good efforts, as he tormented Gills’ full-backs, switching flanks midway through the half.

Nelson made another fine save to deny Griffiths just before the break and the half-time whistle came to Gillingham’s rescue.

The Gills had early second half appeals for a penalty turned down by referee Struart Attwell. McDonald claimed there was a handball in the box, as Kedwell turned his cross goalwards.

Wolves had shown less attacking intent in the second half but with 68 minutes gone, a foul from Legge on Evans led to a penalty which Griffiths duly dispatched to make it 4-0.

Gillingham had a late chance, as the ball ran into Lee’s path but the midfielder – struggling with a knee injury picked up following a heavy challenge – shot wide.

Nelson came to Gills’ rescue again with three minutes left, to deny Bjorn Sigurdarson.

Gillingham: Nelson, Harriman, Martin, Legge, Barrett, Gregory (Dack 55mins), Linganzi, Lee, Weston, Kedwell (German 71mins), McDonald (Whelpdale 57mins). Subs not used: Howard, Davies, Allen, Akinfenwa.

Wolves: Ikeme, Doherty (Foley 89mins), Stearman, Batth, Ricketts, Davis, Ismail (Price 76mins), Sako, Evans, Griffiths, Doyle (Sigurdarson 64mins). Subs not used: Hennessey, Cassidy, McAlinden, Ebanks-Landell.

Attendance: 19,102

Close This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies.Learn More