Home   Maidstone   News   Article

Dogs' fire alert

Fire stock
Fire stock

by Angela Cole


The barking of two jack russells alerted a woman to the fact that her dishwasher was on fire.

The blaze broke out in Bowin Road, Tunbridge Wells, at just before 11pm last night (Wednesday).

After hearing her pets bark, the woman found it was alight and initially put wet tea towels over it, but soon realised it was out of control and got herself and her two grown-up children out of the house.

Fire crews wearing breathing apparatus in five minutes.

Watch manager Stephen Inglis said: "Luckily no-one was hurt and the fire was

contained to the dishwasher. But my advice to homeowners is never try to tackle a fire yourself, get out and call the fire service out.

"Fires can break out in electrical appliances and power outlets with very little warning. Make sure you have working smoke alarms on every floor of your home and never operate dishwashers, tumble dryers or washing machines while out of the property or overnight."

Close This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies.Learn More