Home   Maidstone   Sport   Article

Weymouth 2 Maidstone United 3 match report: Levi Amantchi (2) and Liam Sole the scorers as Stones take the points in National League South

Liam Sole scored the winner as Maidstone twice came from behind to beat Weymouth.

A pair of Levi Amantchi headers accounted for the Stones’ two equalisers before Sole’s first goal for the club earned the points.

Maidstone United manager George Elokobi. Picture: Steve Terrell
Maidstone United manager George Elokobi. Picture: Steve Terrell

Victory came after three successive 1-1 draws and extends Maidstone’s unbeaten run in National League South to five games.

Skipper Gavin Hoyte and vice-captain Sam Corne were ruled through injuries picked up in the 1-1 draw with Taunton on Monday.

Bivesh Gurung started a three-match ban and Razzaq Coleman De-Graft dropped to the bench as George Elokobi made four changes.

In came Raphe Brown, Lamar Reynolds, Ogo Obi and Conor Kelly in a switch to 3-5-2, while George Fowler captained the side.

Weymouth were on the front foot in the early stages at the Bob Lucas Stadium, winning a corner inside 15 seconds, while Brown made an important block after space opened up for Tom Bearwish to shoot.

Amantchi took Maidstone from defence to attack with a cracking run down the left before playing in Reynolds, who hit the deck, but referee Ross Martin waved away optimistic penalty appeals.

United conceded from a restart for the fourth match running as Weymouth took the lead in the 26th minute.

The visitors broke down in the Terras half, with a long ball forward leading to a corner off Sam Bone.

Brandon Goodship’s ball to the far post was headed back across goal and into the corner by Charlie Rowan.

Maidstone responded well to falling behind.

Reynolds passed up a chance to shoot after good work in the box, instead passing to Obi, who hit keeper Gerard Benfield’s legs.

But the equaliser followed on 34 minutes, Obi and Chi Ezennolim combining to feed Reynolds whose cross was met by a thumping Amantchi header.

Maidstone were on top after the leveller, getting balls in the box and winning a series of corners, with Kelly’s deliveries testing the defence.

Reynolds forced a good low save from Benfield, while Sole’s header from a Devonte Aransibia cross brushed the roof of the net.

Ezennolim fired wide after cutting inside from Fowler’s crossfield ball before Weymouth regained the lead in the 51st minute.

It was one to forget for the Stones as Bone’s pass into Aransibia was pinched by Ben Thomson, who fired into the bottom corner from the edge of the area.

Maidstone introduced Sol Wanjau-Smith and within four minutes Maidstone were level.

Sole was the provider with a cross from right, leaving Amantchi a simple header to make it 2-2 on 61 minutes.

Amantchi went close to his hat-trick after being played in on goal before Maidstone took the lead in the 73rd minute.

Sole was the scorer, timing his run perfectly to meet Brown’s right-wing cross for his first Stones goal.

Referee Martin added eight minutes, during which Lucas Covolan made an excellent save from Dan Roberts’ fierce strike.

Weymouth: Benfield, Brooks, Thompson (Howe 66mins), Rowan, Hamblin, Sesay, Rees (Rollinson 67mins), Bearwish, Goodship, Roberts, Thomson (O’Connell 61mins). Subs not used: Stagg, Monk.

Maidstone: Covolan, Brown, Fowler, Bone, Sole (Coleman De-Graft 76mins), Kelly, Aransibia, Reynolds, Ezennolim, Obi (Wanjau-Smith 57mins), Amantchi (Iandolo 90+8mins). Subs not used: Court, Earle.

Referee: Ross Martin.

Attendance: 905.

Close This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies.Learn More